October 20, 2009

Montessori Mama

In the world of educating children, there are many, I mean MANY different buzz words. We all want to do what's best for our children, but if we can barely pronounce, much less understand all the different schools of learning, how can we possibly translate this into educational action for our kids?

Actually, I have no idea. However, recently I narrowed it down a bit and began exploring alternative education styles because I wanted to pick up some tips on what we could be doing at home with Bear. So I starting searching around and even in the outer fringes of educational possibilities I STILL found quite a few choice
s!

Let's try saying some of their names, shall we?
Waldorf, Charter based, Montessori, Reggio Emilio and multiple intelligences/Gardner schools just to name a few.

I am sure each philosophy has many redeeming characteristics, but I'm not about to analyze them for us. That would be nice and informative, but that woul
d almost be boring for some of you, wouldn't it?
Instead, I sheepishly (I know you were waiting for a picture)...



submit that I will chat with you on occasion about my take on my favorite of the fancy named pedagogies: the Montessori method.

Why this one?

Well, I personally feel the most common ground with this style and I have some history with it as I've used elements of it in my public school classroom when I
taught kindergarten.
Why sheepishly?
Because with all due respect, I am no Maria Montessori. In fact I am not even a certified Montessori director. I just like what I know about the meth
od already and I am impressed with how well it translates to Bear.



"Sheepish". Wow, the lengths I go to in order to just be able to post some photos from our weekend. Anyway...

The slogan, if you will, of Montessori is:
An eye that sees
a hand that obeys
a soul that feels

Oooh, I love it! No matter who reads that should take it to heart, don't you think? While that sums it up in a nutshell, a few more details are in order.

The Montessori Method began in Italy by a woman *gasp!* named Maria Montessori. It has since spread all over the world. It is famous, but not trademarked so you may find variations on the teaching methods depending on where you are. No matter what though, all schools will reflect the keystone points of: respect for the child and an emphasis on self directed, real life experiential activity.

The method supports the belief that physical activity plays a large role in the absorption of learning concepts and skills by the child:
this BY FAR is Champ's favorite aspect of Montessori learning, but then again he is a physical education teacher! While fantasy has it's place in this type of education, the "real world" is considered most important as providing educational experiences.

So that's that. If you want to know more about the Montessori Method, just do a little web surfing and you will find lots and lots of information on it (believe me!).

Now you're in the know and your ready to join Bear on his Montessori journey.
This post and any following ones on the Montessori topic are sponsored in part by:

the Internet
books on the topic
informed friends
and a well intentioned Mama.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs