October 11, 2009

A wooden umbrella

The smell of wood piles burning, the rusty colors of Fall on the trees, the warm thermos of apple cider in the cup holder; all of these just scream let's go shopping to me! That's right, I love love love yard sales and there is no time like Fall to stock up on all those holiday must haves:

a wooden umbrella
an antique insulated milk box

a hodgepodge of pottery cups
shiny new shoes for Bear...

Like I said- all the holiday must haves!!!

Have you heard of The Compact? Originating in San Francisco and now with chapters all over the U.S., The Compact is a movement whose members promise not to buy anything new for a year. A whole, entire 365 day year!
How fabulous that sounds to me. Life altering! But... *sigh* I know I'm not in a place to do it right now nor do I think I 100% would want to do it...
YET.

Like all good things though, it got me thinking- what
can I do? How can I simplify and help out our budget? So this year, yard sales, thrift shops and the like are taking on a whole new meaning for me. I will try to get as many gifts as possible through um, "not new" means. This could save money and help the environment by recycling items. Maybe it will even encourage me to look at Compact life beyond gift giving.

Oh it sounds so noble and
different. I like different. But how easy will it be to follow? Let me shrug my shoulders at you and say "WHO KNOWS?" I'll have to keep you updated.
In the meantime, admire my latest "not new" loot:



Oh, and Bear likes his shoes.



I know this because he doesn't take them off and throw them when we are in the car as he does with his store bought shoes: he supports my Compact attempt.


Either that or he hasn't figured out how to yank his loafers off just yet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs