February 09, 2010

Have your cookies and frost them too

Bear and I needed an excuse to make these cookies again and The Super Bowl seemed like as good a reason as any.



What's that? It was the Saints and the Colts this year?  Sorry folks, but if we're decorating helmet cookies around these parts... it's EAGLES all the way.

Whether you use this recipe to make helmets, strawberries or the random ax cookie (yes, for some reason I have acquired an ax cookie cutter, don't ask) do notice that the dough lacks a huge amount of sugar.  That is fine with me.  As for the butter... 

eh, butter is healthier, right?!




CUTOUT COOKIES (adapted from Michelle Duncan)

3/4C softened butter     2t vanilla
1/3C powdered sugar   1 1/3C flour
4 1/2t sugar                1/4 t salt

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars.  Beat in extract.  Combine the flour and salt; add to creamed mixture.  Roll out dough and cut with preferred cookie cutters.  Bake @ 325* for 12-16 minutes (rotating cookie sheet half way through baking time- I found perfection with a total of 14 minutes, rotating at 7 minutes).  Yields 9-12 large cookies or about 2 dozen smaller cookies.





BUTTERCREAM FROSTING (classic Wilton)


1/2C vegetable shortening   4C powdered sugar
1/2C butter                       1t vanilla  


2T milk

Cream butter and shortening.  Add vanilla.  Gradually add sugar and beat/whip (I use the whip attachment on my KitchenAid) well.  Add milk and beat to frosting consistency.  Keep frosting covered with a damp cloth until you're ready to use it or put in air tight container and refrigerate.



4 comments:

Cherry said...

Mmmm, yum! We had an anti-superbowl party, but I would make your lovely helmet cookies! Today we're sticking with rice crispy treats 'cause they take 3 minutes to make and I've got to get Razz to dance! Enjoy your day!

Jennifer Campbell said...

Yum... I am now very hungry for cookies... maybe I can bake while I am stuck in during this blizzard!!

Darlene said...

Your cookies turned out great and I'm sure Bear had fun helping you! I saw you visited Paula at Fraker Farm...she always has great posts about the farm. I keep telling her Lexi and I want to come visit...she says come on!!!!!!!♥

Pam said...

Love it! Thanks for the new recipe. I have to make linzer (sp?) cookies for a significant other's 2nd graders for Valentine's Day, that is if we ever go back to school. I will try these! Total snow so far is 18 inches on top of the 14 from last week - nothing for all you Vermonters, but this is one BIG storm!

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs