February 08, 2010

I'd like to thank my lucky stars

So (darn) easy to say that life's so hard
Everybody's got their share of battle scars
As for me I'd like to thank my lucky stars
that I'm alive and well.    "I'm Alive" Kenny Chesney

I have been listening to quite a bit of Kenny Chesney thanks to my parents who, bless their little hearts, took my tip of getting Champ a Chesney CD for Christmas and went hog wild with it- as in 4 Kenny Chesney CDS!

Not that I'm complaining though, because beyond the bachelor's lyrics of drinking, relaxing, beaches and good times lies something a little deeper.  Something that occasionally speaks to me like those lyrics above.

So today, on Bear's 19 month birthday, I cranked up "I'm Alive".  I needed to after the week Champ and I just had.

You know what I realized?

Kenny's right, it really is easy to say life is hard.  It would (and was all weekend) be easy for me to complain about our lot and the acuteness of it crashing around us last week.  

It is easy for you too, isn't it?  It's much harder to count those lucky stars and I commend those of you who already have a firm grip on the sunny side of life.  I don't

Nope.  I still tend to let things like exploding well pumps and Champ working what seems like 24/7 bring me down.  I can recognize that these, in the broad scheme of things, are small scale.  I can recognize that life will go on and God stands firm beside me, but in the heat of these moments I can't recognize that this too shall pass.

My friend jokes about her daughter R.  That's R hugging Bear... 


R says "Uh Oh" in the most adorable of ways and for any and every occasion.  says that the world could be coming to an end, bombs exploding, things falling from the sky with devastation everywhere and R would simply say...

"Uh Oh."

An understatement for sure, but a skill I envy.  I know that some day, with lots of prayer, believing and a little bit of Kenny's relaxed outlook,  I too will be able to take whatever set backs come my way with nothing more than an utterance of "Uh Oh".



My 19 month birthday gift to Bear is to gather up all my stars and count them regularly: 

I am alive.
I am well.

May they remind me of how lucky I truly am.

11 comments:

Mrs. Bird said...

Great post! It is difficult to keep things in perspective day to day sometimes :)

Darlene said...

Oh girl you have said it so well. It is difficult for some of us to keep that happy, sunny disposition when things aren't going well. As I have gotten older I seem to do better though. I know that when the toilet backs up or overflows the world or specifically MY WORLD won't stop. It WILL all be just fine...lol.

I'm so glad you enjoyed that taco casserole too. I always hope that people realize they are just MY opinions. Not everyone is going to agree with my likes or dislikes. Hope you have a wonderful afternoon.♥

Pam said...

Now that I have written #3 of 35 reflections for a class - will not complain, but "thank my lucky stars" I have this opportunity to further my studies.
Thanks for the reality check!

Caroline said...

Thankyou for the lovely comment on my blog :D I love it whe childen say 'Uh Oh!!' ~ my youngest used to do it a lot. It was so sweet! But now he has learnt to whine ~ why do we do that!?!

Colleen said...

You are so right! I try not to whine too much, but it does happen occasionally. There are so many other people who are facing difficulties so much worse than I have ever dealt with or can imagine. I try to remember this when I'm feeling frustrated with my current situation, whatever that may be.

Jennifer Campbell said...

I so believe in that statement... I truly have my days that I just want to give up and not be positive... but truly that doesn't do anything but bring others down with you... so I truly am trying to live a positive life and live a little more "simply." wink! I think I may have to suggest that song for one of my design teams I am on... thanks!!! I checked out the site you sent me... thanks, I can't wait to do one of their challenges, I don't have time for anymore DT's right now... 5 is too many! Plus being administration for 2 of them is a little much!! But hey, I'm alive and living well!

Erin said...

Wonderful & thoughtful post--LOVE IT.

I've been having a hard time lately remembering why I'm lucky and counting my stars. I hope I'll get better at it soon.

Kate said...

Sometimes words like this...even from the strangest source, can speak to us if we have the ears to hear. We all have days where things crash around us. We learn as we go along. Sounds like you are learning.

alita said...

First let me say that I love that song. It is so calming.

In that difficult moment in my life; calmness does not over come me. When Chaos intrudes on me, I face it head on, but I'm notorious for saying "It is in God's hands." I got this from da hubbster. Which humbles me since he isn't very religious and yet he is ever faithful. Does that make sense? I feel more like you do. I have a hard time counting those lucky stars, too.

What a well written post! Now I'm going to have to go listen to I'm alive.

Emmy said...

That last picture is so so cute!! Love his smile. And you are right.. there are always good things to find.. we just sometimes need to look a little harder. At my church we sing a song with a line that says, "Count your many blessings name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done"

Karen said...

Great post, so true, and something I remind myself of whenever I feel the doubles and the aggravations creeping in..

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs