February 10, 2010

Punjabi Prime

It's the simple pleasures in life, right? 

Which is why, once again, I just want to say how darn cool all of you are!  Thank you to everyone who recently signed on as a follower or subscriber to my blog and much love to you lurkers, too: I think you are all fabulous!


I just checked to see if I was following all MY bloggy followers and I hit a few glitches.  So if you are over there in my fun little follower box and you want, but don't have, Bear's face following along on your blog, please please please let me know! Just leave a comment so I can follow back to your blog or drop me an e-mail.

Now, about Punjabi Prime.  Unlike the hair treatment    I did with J in this post, today is going to be all about vibrant, red hennaSince henna is a plant, it changes depending on the climate and season where it's grown.  "Punjabi Prime" is simply the label for this particular crop of henna.


Ready for some magic?


First off, I notice that my hair's gotten a bit drabby and dull.  Also, I notice that I really should style my hair more often.



I take out my packet of Punjabi Prime henna that I ordered from my favorite henna shop and I add enough lemon juice to it to make a "yogurt like consistency".  There's no science behind this, I just add until it looks right.


 I also add about 1T cardamom just because I like the smell.


When it looks like this


I put it in a warm place (by the wood stove) for 12 hours to do it's thing.  I usually do it at night and then henna         the following morning.

The next steps are the same as was with J.  I smear a bit of coconut oil around my hairline and then begin to apply the henna with a paintbrush, slathering it on like mud from root to tip. 




 I eventually look like this - 
and then I keep it on for a little over 2 hours and go about my business, usually with a shopping bag over my head to catch any drips.  And because, you see that is the stylish thing to do when using henna. 

The final step is to rinse it all out, shower as normal, style and voila... (I pulled my hair apart there so you could see the root- it will blend in to the overall color within 48 hours)
 


 

or even better...
 
 
Henna is so wild to me: I love to tell people I use henna when asked about my "beautiful hair color".  Are you a bit curious?  Check out Henna for Hair to learn more and be amazed.


*disclaimer* I promise you all these photos are SOOC and shot in the same place with the same light.  I've done no editing at all.
 

8 comments:

alita said...

"And because, you see that is the stylish thing to do when using henna."

I literally laughed out loud. I've done this before (not the henna), but the plastic bag over the head. My mom is a beautician so we've played with my hair many times. I would have never thought to use henna though. What a great idea. I really like the color on you.

Very creative!

Emmy said...

Wow! I don't think I would be brave enough, but I also have a lot of hair. It looks great!

Kate@And Then I Was a Mom said...

Huh! I admit, I was a little skeptical at first, but now I'm tempted to try it, esp. considering I'm rocking my natural hair color at the moment, and no salon highlights. I bet it smells a lot better when it's "processing," too. Your before/after photos are extremely convincing!

Jennifer Campbell said...

awesome... love how your hair turned out... I am tempted. Maybe if I am snowed in and miss my appointment I will just have to try it!

blueviolet said...

You are so brave to do your own hair! Obviously you know what you're doing because it looks great! I'd screw mine up. I just know it! So glad you stopped by my blog. I'm a new follower now. :)

Erin said...

I would love to try this, but someone else would have to do it FOR me. I'd screw it up. Yours looks fabulous!

Catherine Anne said...

This is awesome!!! Thank you~

Caroline said...

I used to use Body Shop henna ALL THE TIME in my younger days ~ I loved it. You inspire me to maybe...

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs