March 02, 2010

For the love of Dr. Seuss

JUMP

                                                                                           
                     For

 
                                        JOY!

 

It's Dr. Seuss's birthday today!

Oh how I love Dr. Seuss (really, you didn't know?!) and today is a veritable holiday in my home.  There are so many ways to celebrate the day using the boatloads of books he has written for inspiration: Bear's favorite book is "The Butter Battle" as it meant today he could eat gnaw through an entire stick of butter and I couldn't say a word. 

My favorite is, and always will be, "The Sneetches".  If you haven't read it yet, YOU MUST!  I fully believe if all babies were issued copies of "The Sneetches" and "To Kill A Mockingbird" at birth, the world would be an even better place.


If you want a little computer time added to your Dr. Seuss holiday, check out  Seussville.  It's such a fun site devoted to all things (you guessed it) SEUSS!


Since it is such a celebration of reading today, I couldn't possibly sign off without giving you all a Montessori reading tip, now could I?

        (cannot for the life of me get this to rotate to landscape, argh!)


We are all mostly familiar with versions of S.S.R (Silent Sustained Reading), right?  Well, basically, Montessori says to replicate this at home.  From birth.

When Bear was born, we read storybooks to him a lot.  It's one of my favorite pass times, but I also made a point each day to hold him in my lap and read at least 5 minutes out loud to him.  We made it through "To Kill A Mockingbird", "Jane Eyre" and a bit of Brothers Grim's fairy tales before he became a bit older and a bit restless to only hear a book read to him.

So we transitioned...


I keep a little basket of books for him in the same room where I have the current book I am reading.  Each day I set the timer (otherwise I lose track of time) and we both settle down to independently read.  What began as 3-5 minutes is now 10 minutes and what initially seemed like a hopeless situation (as his reading took 30 seconds and the rest of the time he wandered while I pretended to read, but really was spying on his every move) is now one of my most favorite times of the day with him.   

The point here is, let your children see you read.  Encourage them to read independently.  AND as hard as it will be in the beginning (I was constantly saying "Mama's reading right now, but when I'm done I will help you), impact on them the importance you place on this time.  If they can see the high regard you have for reading, it will make it that much easier for them to become good readers themselves.  Of course there are caveats: create a safe space, try to get other household members involved too, act like you love to read even if you hate it...


but for the love of Dr. Seuss, I BEG you, give it a whirl!!!


8 comments:

Jennifer Campbell said...

Always a teacher!!! You still inspire me! Did you see my post today???

Colleen said...

I just tucked my youngest in with three Seuss stories. Marvin K. Mooney, Green Eggs and Ham, and the Sneetches, of course.
Seussisms are often spoken here.
-Try them, try them and you may.
-I don't care how you go, just get. (often spoken around bedtime.)
and
-It came! It came without packages, boxes or bags.
are some of our favorites!

Jennifer said...

The Mommy always said, "don't bother me now, you have your books, now go read them, just like I am reading my books"!

It worked. I love books!

Leslie said...

Dr seuss is so fun. i still have bits of Marvin K Mooney memorized from when my little sisters insisted that we read it over and over and over. my kids went to Dr seuss story time at the library today. love the pictures of your little one.

Mrs. Bird said...

"Te gustan los huevos verdes con jamon?"

Nap Mom said...

I was wondering which book is my fave... Sneetches is definitely a top pick!

I read out loud to Brody every single night... but I hadn't thought about adding "independent" reading to the mix. Good idea!

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

Darlene said...

Love the Dr. Seuss books. This is Dr. Seuss week at Lexi's school. They dress different ways in honor of different books. Monday was wear Green (Green Eggs & Ham), Tuesday crazy socks (Fox in Socks), Wednesday dress Wacky (can't remember which book), Thursday wear black/white/red (The Cat in the Hat) and Friday they are out of school. She is having fun with it!

alita said...

uh-oh! I have (gasp) never read the sneeches. Your mouth is hanging open isn't it? Mine would hang open if I heard that someone hadn't read If you give a mouse a cookie (like a trillion times.) Which Dr. Seuss book is Bear's favorite? Domo loves GO, Dog. GO! and Anthony's fave is Mr. Brown can Moo & SUMMER.

My bambinos are so used to watching me read that it is almost like no big deal to them. However they are big on books, too. IT is a VERY good thing.

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs