March 03, 2010

I promise ice cream at the end...

Let's tie up some loose ends, beginning with the fact that I never shared moments from our blast of a weekend with friends recently, so here...

 
(Bear putting his reading skills to good use with O)


                          (big G and the boys enjoying sugar on snow)

 


(S and his daughter O.  I tried out "pencil sketch" in Picnik.  Kind of cool maybe?)









(and here I tried out a new green effect in Picnik with A and her son P)


(K developed a handy way to tote G around.  We plan to market it as a new sling style.  Any takers?)











It was a super fun weekend, and with all those children around, you'd better believe we played our hearts out!  Of course when kids come to visit, their time here wouldn't be complete without sampling some homemade ice cream.  We made lavender and pistachio this time. 

lavender ice cream (recipe from Sue Gronholz (TOH) even if you don't have an ice cream maker, you can make this!)

2/3 C half and half
1/3 C fresh or dried lavender flowers
2/3 C sugar
4 egg yolks lightly beaten
2/3 C heavy cream


heat half and half until warmed, but not boiling,  Add in lavender, remove from heat and cover to steep for 20-30 minutes.  Strain and discard lavender (into compost of course).  Return to heat; stir in sugar until dissolved.  Whisk a small amount of the hot liquid into the eggs to temper them, then return all to pan and constantly stir.  Once mixture coats the back of a metal spoon, remove from heat.  Cool a bit and add in whipping cream.  At this point put in a sealed container and freeze or allow it to cool and then follow your ice cream maker's instructions.  

Pistachio Ice cream recipe

They were both out of this world!!!  I simply froze the lavender ice cream and it was still such a creamy, beautiful custard.  I had used dried lavender saved from the summer (and added a few extra crushed flowers into the final product before freezing): it tinted the ice cream a delightful shade of purple and flavored it, well it was like exquisite fairy nectar (I imagine).  The pistachio we didn't change at all except to cut back on the amount of nuts in it as the comments seemed to say the original amount was a bit much.  If your heat is too high when you add in the eggs, you will have a scrambled mess, so best bet is to keep the heat lower and just up it a bit until the mixture thickens (not that that happened to me or anything).




And finally, my wonderful friend Katelyn gave me a sunshine award.  Thank you again, Katelyn, I am quite honored!  Now the rules say I should pass it on to 12 others, but rules are made for breaking, so I'd like to pass on this sunshiny goodness (in no particular order) to:


Jenilee at The Goodwin Family
Aimee at The Mother Load
Kate at On A Chicken Wing and a Prayer 
Alita at DA MANIACS  
Rhonda at Goodnight Moon 

Go visit all my friends and leave them a little sunshine love!


Before I scram, I'd just like to say how cool is it that K shared her

 

Awesome, Awesome  Canon camera with me while she was here.  I mean, if that isn't the sign of a true friend then what is?!

8 comments:

blueviolet said...

I love that you played around with all of those effects. The pictures are so cool and I'm glad you had such a great weekend.

Colleen said...

Now I'm wishing that I had some lavender lying around. The ice cream sounds delicious!

I've been playing with picnik on occasion and love it. We have photoshop too, but I'm just confused by it. I guess I have to put more time into figuring it out.

Okay... I'm off to visit the blogs you mentioned! Fun!

Erin said...

The photos are wonderful --love the pencil sketch one!

Wish I had an ice cream maker. But perhaps it's best I don't. Both flavors sound delish.

I also think it's funny you know the other blogger with the same title as me (The Mother Load)! so funny!

Leslie said...

that is one nice friend to share her camera with you....i love all the pictures. looks like you all had an amazing fun time. the lavender ice cream has me interested...the most exotic i have ever made is beet ice cream

Pam said...

I am so pleased to hear that you are giving Harry the "library" experience. I get so worried that libraries will go the way of newspapers, letter writing and postcards. There is something so peaceful about "going to the library". You'll be happy to know that we are now contributors to the Wardsboro Library.
Stay warm!

alita said...

Okay I won't lie when I say that I'm skeptical about lavender ice cream, but I would totally try it.

Ohh and fancy canon camera sharing. That IS true friendship? Did you have fun playing with it? :)

My first bloggy award, I'M THRILLED. Yes, thrilled. MUCHAS GRACIAS times 1,000,000 :) Can't wait to pass it on.

Kate said...

I leave town for a few days and upon my return I find your sunshine award! me..moi.....really?.....you have me worrying about the after-effects of the nasty bump on your head! Are you thinking straight?? You are too kind! I will gladly pass on the sunshiny goodness! Thanks TJ.

Jenilee said...

Thank you! Thanks for letting me know! I am a follower now... for some reason, I thought I was already! :)

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs