March 15, 2010

Montessori Monday notes


It's Monday.  I've got a few little Montessori details I've been meaning to tell you.  I can't keep these random photos floating on my computer any longer...
 

Let's do this thing.














If you are a hard core "Any Given Moment" fan (well, are you?), then you already know about Bear's introduction to pouring.

The thing is, we are just about done toilet training and pouring and drinking large amounts of liquid while having diaper free naps just don't go well together.  So we pour other things too like rice, bolts and beans.  We experiment with different shaped and sized containers and we observe what happens if we pour fast or slow.

Bear continues to gain control and coordination through this skill while developing his fine and gross motor skills AND working on his eye/hand coordination.  As if all that learning goodness weren't enough, Bear is at about 90% accuracy when pouring any liquid which means lots less spills for Mama to be cleaning up- WOOHOO!


Does that look familiar to you?  It's the ol' "chalk contrast with cotton ball detailing" art. 
Why do I love it for Bear right now?  It emphasizes high- contrast art as well as what I call "dip and stick".  You know, the dipping of the cotton balls in glue and then sticking them on the paper.  Besides the obvious fine motor skills it works, I like the fact that it helps to get his pincher grip ready for writing. 

This activity was Bear's first fully independent, multi step art activity he's done.  *Sigh* it's kind of bittersweet to me.  Hold on, let me wipe this tear away before we move on (sniff)...


And finally, we've been having some teatime around here.  Bear has his own little pot (the one on the left up there) along with two cups.  About twice a week, we have a teatime after his nap.  It involves setting the table, eating something delicious and Bear serving tea to himself and me.  So what if the tea is herbal (I am always wishing it was caffeinated in the afternoons) and cold?  He gets a kick out of it and I love demonstrating that "tea parties" aren't just for girls.  Since many cultures across the globe take time each day to have tea, I figured we should, too! 

Montessori is big on grace and courtesy, concern for others and good manners; tea time accomplishes all of this. My hope is that in the future, Bear will transfer the knowledge gained here into deep courtesy for anyone who might enter our home; whether they are tea drinkers or not.  Perhaps their suitcase can be carried upstairs, a plate of snacks offered or a warm hug and kiss extended.  Whatever their need, I want Bear to grown up knowing how to bring joy to those around him. 

12 comments:

Mrs. Bird said...

Great post, TJ! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!!!

Jenilee said...

How cute and what a great idea! Might have to try that today with the girls. :)

alita said...

I love the dip & stick art. It is cold and rainy here today so I think I'm gonna get Domo to do that while Bean is at preschool. We're in the potty training process, too. This is our second time trying. He's 2.5 now so I'm hoping that it will stick this time. Plus he said to me this morning "Ok I'm ready for big boy underwear." I'm like "Ok, do you REALLY want to do this?" To which he replied "yeah Dipes are for babies mama." ... SO we'll see if the potty training works for him this time. I've got all my rewards ready... What has worked best for you?

Colleen said...

What a great mommy! You are doing so many wonderful things with him. The tea party idea is so sweet. All of my kids have enjoyed an occasional tea party or two especially when it is accompanied by yummy treats.

Emmy said...

It is a bitter sweet things when they reach those more independent milestones.. something we so want.. but just shows they are getting bigger no matter what we do :)

Pam said...

These are such great skills and so overlooked once "school-age" hits, so stike while the iron is hot! Don't forget about paying attention to the sounds that the things pouring are making, the difference between beans into jar and rice in a plastic bowl.......what ever happened to sand and water tables in kindergarten? Off my soap box! Love ya!
Pam
http://teachingreaderstothink.blogspot.com/

Mama Kat said...

Awwww, what thoughtful crafts! I love giving kids the freedom to just create like that!

Kate@And Then I Was a Mom said...

You know what? Bear is going to be Whiz Kid Extraordinaire in preschool. Seriously, a lot of the kids in Aura's class still haven't mastered pouring, and they're twice Bear's age.

(And, um, I spilled my water bottle again this morning. Perhaps grace is not something that always develops with age...)

Christy said...

I am so glad that sweet Bear gets all of that craft/fine motor moments. SO many moms don't know to do this with their children and it is so important! Laura Grace is 6 and still loves pouring and chalk art :)

What books have you read lately that you would recommend? I am looking for new books...

laney said...

Amazing! I'm still trying to transition my 2yo from the high chair to a big person's chair. He is not getting the concept that we sit at a table and eat, not carry our meal around the house. :) Your montessori ways having given me some inspiration! Thanks.

Mama Zen said...

I love that you have tea time!

A 2 Z said...

Bonjour TJ,

Thanks for visiting my blog. My children went to Montessori and they loved it. When we moved countries we could not find an elementary Montessori school in our area. The transition was difficult as there were no choices offered in the classroom. Everyone does what they are told to do. Now they are 20 and 22. Enjoy being a "mommy" while they are young!

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs