April 20, 2010

Do you speak Runsa?

I have a quirky, interesting and tasty recipe to share with you today.  It actually caught me off guard with how great it ended up being!  Hope it does the same for you.



They are called Runsas.  

Ever heard of 'em?  Me either, but boy am I glad to have made their acquaintance this week.  We will be life long friends.


There's cabbage in these - DON'T FLINCH- it's a perfect balance with the meat and no one who ate them even SUSPECTED any veggies were residing in the filling.






RUNSAS (adapted from Pam Patterson, Cook's Country '07)

dough
3/4C warm water
1/2C condensed milk (about 1/2 can)
1/4 C vegetable oil
2T sugar
1 large egg 
3 1/2 C flour
2 packets (or 2 T) yeast
1t salt

filling
1.5 lbs ground beef
1 chopped onion
3 C chopped cabbage 
salt and pepper
8 slices your favorite cheese 
  
Start the dough first.  I will assume you have a mixer, otherwise just mix it up quickly my hand.  Dump all ingredients into mixer fitted with bread hook.  Begin on low and gradually increase speed until dough comes together- about 4-6 minutes.  Set aside to rise for about one hour or until doubled.  

While it rises, prepare the filling by browning the beef and onions for about 6 minutes.  Toss in the cabbage and cook only another 2-4 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

When the dough is ready, preheat your oven to 350* and grease your baking sheets if needed.  Divide dough into 8 equal parts and roll each into a circle (doesn't need to be exact).  Place one dough round into a cereal bowl, place 1 slice of cheese over it and then top with about 3/4 of the filling.  Pinch together the edges of the dough to form a bun and transfer it seam side down to the baking sheet.  Repeat 7 more times.



 (Bear didn't quite get how to roll a  circle)


Bake the buns for 20 minutes until golden brown and run a quick glide of the butter stick over them when they come out of the oven.  Seriously- SO GOOD- even the next day! 

FIELD NOTES: you could divide the dough into 16 and make appetizers.  I had leftovers of meat, but just froze it to toss in with my spaghetti and gravy some time.  Actually, I LOVED how far the meat went considering my recent revolution causes me to solely buy "local, happy" meats which we only eat about 1-2X per week.

10 comments:

Shell said...

Bookmarked this to try later!

Colleen said...

I think I may have had something like these at the fair in Washington (the state not the district.) Are they Russian? Regardless, they sound delicious. If I had cabbage, I'd make them tonight. Yum.

blueviolet said...

It sounds kinda cheeseburgerish! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Tina,
You are soooo not going to believe this.
We have a Runza Hut in our small little town of Wahoo. They are really really popular out here. I do love them. Your Runza looks fabulous!!!!!.
Tricia

Yellow House said...

This is new to me! Thanks for the new recipe idea. :) PS - love the b/w picture in the kitchen with the boys in color. Very cool!

Leslie said...

can you make them and send me a few?..they look awesome. i vaguely think i had heard of these before.

Kate said...

Hey TJ,
I've eaten something called 'bierox' that is similar to this. Very good, hearty and healthy. I will try these!

Emmy said...

I think I will have to try those, definitely not something I have ever made before.

A 2 Z said...

HI,

That looks great. I like anything in a bun. Of course pierogies are my favorite. My grandmother was Ukrainian. Thanks for the recipes!

Rhonda Moon said...

I love the picture of the guys cooking.

I make these every so often. They are really good. I'll have to try your recipe.

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs