April 28, 2010

Forget Christmas in December

Apparently around here, the winter holiday can be held in late April just as easily.


I had a completely different post planned for today, but when I woke to this


I decided a change of plans was in order.


 A pick-me-up.
An "ignore what's going on outside and post about something fun and light and happy".

So you know what that means folks...
time for a recipe since food always cheers me up!

The thing is, I knew it was going to continue to be a bad day when I started to pick out the picture for the recipe and accidentally deleted it.  
Then I started to upload the photo and Blogger and I got into a fight which still isn't resolved (anyone else being forced to use a whole new system when uploading photos?!).

Argh!   I think I'm headed back to bed to hide until the snow melts, but do try the recipe while I'm gone.  It was delicious earlier this week, topped with a berry sauce and whipped cream, eaten outside during our bonfire with friends who were wearing jeans and tee shirts rather than snowsuits *double sigh*.   

That warm night is such a distant memory right now... 

 
Pound cake (adapted from Jill Henderson, Gooseberry Patch)

1C butter              1/4t baking soda
3C sugar               1/2 pt sour cream
6 eggs                  1T vanilla
3C flour                1t almond extract and 1t orange extract

Preheat over to 300* and grease a Bunt cake pan (or large cake pan).  Allow butter to soften, then cream well, gradually adding in sugar (I end up using about 2 3/4 C).  Add eggs one at a time.  Combine dry ingredients together and alternately add dry ingredients and sour cream to butter mixture.  Bake 1 1/2 hours or until thoroughly cooked.  Let cake cool in pan, then flip over to remove.  Can use honey or maple syrup in place of some of the sugar- just adjust the flavorings to taste.

20 comments:

Leslie said...

this sounds astoundingly amazing....wish i had you to make it for me instead of me having to make it.

Kate said...

I adore pound cake! So simple, creamy and beautiful. Top it with anything....berries, cream, chocolate sauce, whiskey sauce...I'm rambling now. I will love trying this.
The snow looks depressing. With us, it is the wind. 2 days of 50mph gusts. Cooking is a happy outlet. I shall enjoy the cake. Thanks!

Pam said...

Pound cake, my favorite, with strawberries, of course!

teachingreaderstothink said...

Pound cake, my favorite, with strawberries, of course!

Pam

Colleen said...

Ugh! You got hit with snow too. I've seen a lot of blog posts full of snow today. (And to think, the kids and I were whining about our 54 degree weather. Could be worse!)

And Blogger!!!! I'm about ready to pick up my blog and move it to Wordpress if Blogger doesn't get it's act together and fix this new system! I believe my blood pressure soared while I tried to figure out a way around it.

That pound cake might make me feel better. It looks and sounds delicious!

Aimee said...

Your coping mechanisms are remarkably similar to mine :) And if I woke up to snow, I might just curl up and cry . . . I was just complaining that it was too chilly here, thanks for giving me perspective! Hope it melts soon :)

Mrs. Bird said...

Snow!!! It snowed last week at my parent's house. Always at least one in April, just usually THIS late :) Thanks for the recipe. Also, have you looked into using Window's Live Writer? Makes things SOOOO much easier. I too used to say curse words at Blogger...

Caroline (Frogmum) said...

You poor things ~ I don't envy you the snow at all :( ~ well not at THIS time of year!

Caroline (Frogmum) said...

Also ~ you do know that with Blogger you can choose to use the OLD system don't you! Go to the SETTINGS in you dashboard, and right at the bottom you can 'select post editor' ~ choose old editor and you will be back with life as you once knew it! :D But for what it's worth ~ I prefer the new system because I don't have to keep trying to move pictures around with code, I can just choose where I want them in post :D

Erin said...

ok, wait---I thought it was just me (the photo/Blogger thing), but I'm so glad it's not. WTF is going on ? Regardless, your photos are phenomenal (as usual). I love that you baked. I'm sorry for the snow, though....
;-(

Emmy said...

Yes go back to the old setting, it is much better. And Caroline, if you pick "none" for layout with the old system you can totally just drag the picture wherever you want.

And yeah, I do not envy your snow one little bit. Hope it all melts and you get spring soon!

JoeyRes said...

I was bummed that it was a chilly 50 degrees here today - that snow is just too much! At least you know it won't last long this time of year. And you can always eat pound cake. Yum!

alita said...

BLECHITY, snow!!! I feel for you sistah.

BUT I want some of that pound cake. No, I think I deserve it. I'm so using my new pan with this recipe soon.

Jennifer Campbell said...

Gorgeous pics of snow... funny thing Becky and I just had our children exchange our Christmas presents to each other this past weekend... so those pics make complete sense... They make me want to curl up under a blanket and drink hot chocolate!!! The pound cake looks yummy. I had issues last night uploading photos...

Michelle@Fromhousetohome said...

Mmm...that looks great! I've been meaning to get a bundt pan for forever!
And small world indeed, I can't believe you are from the Lehigh Valley, how neat! Our house is in Nazareth.
~Michelle

Yellow House said...

Snow! Yikes! The pound cake looks amazing. I had trouble uploading photos w/ Blogger yesterday too... no fun.

Serline said...

Love what you did with the first pic.

Amy said...

Gotta love New England! We haven't had snow, but we have had rainy raw weather. This pound cake looks and sound delish! I may have to make this this afternoon. I also may have to go out and get some strawberries to top it off!!!!

blueviolet said...

The snow looks horrible, but I need that cake so bad!!!!

Life with Kaishon said...

Oh! So great that you lived in Lehigh Valley! That is close to us.

I can not believe you got snow in April... I am so thankful we did not : )

Have a great weekend.

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs