April 19, 2010

Montessori Moments: silhouette project

Happy Patriot's Day to all my Massachusetts friends and well wishes for a painless race to all who are running the Boston marathon this yearGODSPEED!

So, hi everyone I had a super fab time over Spring Break.  In fact, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm not done posting some pictures from it, but for now I plan to shake it up a bit.

Grab your watercolors, some poster board and a child or two as today we will be making the coolest silhouettes ever!

The full idea is here 4 Crazy Kings: water color resist sillouette and I followed it pretty closely.

To begin, I gathered up the supplies, tweaking the watercolors to these nifty watercolor/roller marker things that Bear has.  I also already had taken a silhouette picture of Bear in front of the window and blown it up to the size I wanted. 

Champ, being the sweet guy he is, traced Bear's silhouette onto clear contact paper and then basically cut out a large sticker with his Exacto knife.



                                                                            
I peeled and stuck this silhouette sticker onto white posterboard  (pre cut to fit a 8X11 frame) and then let Bear have at it.  After a while, Bear's artistic expression looked a little something like this




He continued on with his painting and I only had to fill in a few spots around the sticker so that all the positive/negative space would be even.  Once the painting was done, we let it dry for a bit then peeled the sticker off.  The final project looked like this



we were all very please with the outcome AND it was quick and painless.  I want to hang on to this idea and do it again some time: like some kind of cool, personally graffitied silhouette when he's a teenager.  Know what I mean? 

Anyway, to top this one off, I wrote his name and age on it and framed it.  I had great plans of showing you the happy recipient opening it and Oohing and Ahhing (which she did... eventually), but I lost patience in holding my camera poised as both Great Gram and Bear were clearly more interested in discussing the lunch at hand...


but with a homecoming feast like that- straight from our MOST FAVORITE PLACE IN TOWN- can you blame them?

We did finally get around to opening up the gift- after ice cream for dessert of course, but by then I was way too happily stuffed to even raise a finger, much less a camera.

15 comments:

Erin said...

I adore that pic!

And what a great craft project. I feel lame b/c I got some silhouettes done professionally (I am not crafty and would probably cut myself trying to do this one at home) for Hubs for last Father's Day.

Emmy said...

That is cool!!

I have an award for you on my blog today

Colleen said...

What a neat project idea. Leslie did a similar thing only instead of a silhouette it was the first initials of each kids name.

Love the picture of Great Gram and Bear. And the food! If that doesn't scream Philly, I don't know what does. Hmmm... I'm thinking I'd like to make a trip up there, visit my old college campus, and order from my favorite take out place. Yum.

Brooke G. said...

Oh WOW - that is the cutest darn project! And I am digging the Silhouette's these days (per my last blog post - HA!) I never thought to incorporate it into an art project with the kids - LOOOOOVE it! Thanks :D

Patty said...

Happy Patriots Day, I absolutely LOVE your silhouette painting!

blueviolet said...

I absolutely love how that came out!!! What a wonderful gift!!! And the photo is precious beyond words. :)

Shell said...

What an adorable project!

Yellow House said...

I love the project - would be perfect in a mini-form for a Mothers Day card. Not sure if I see myself cutting out 29 silhouettes though. Does you husband hire-out his cutting/tracing services? :)

Sonya said...

what a really cool idea!!

VKT said...

Wow.....what a great idea! We make silhouettes of the children every year but I love the fact that your child actually had a hand in this one!!!

Michele Horne said...

I can not wait to try this- what a great idea!

Mama Zen said...

That is really cool!

alita said...

Awww!! What a sweet idea. We are gonna have to do it here for sure. I love that kind of thing. So do the boys.

I'm completely caught up on your blog. :) You have been a busy bloggy chica. I went on vacation and my blog got super neglected. lol!

Jennifer Campbell said...

FAbulous project!!! what an amazing idea... I am sure she loved it!!!

So Pickin' Cute said...

GREAT blog! I love silhouettes - so I'm lovin' this idea. May have to borrow it! Thanks for visiting So Pickin' Cute. :)

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs