May 11, 2010

Fannie is still fabulous

As the season of yard sales (tag sales as they say around here) begins,  it also begins my season of "Where's Waldo" yard sale style.  The thrill of the hunt in finding items at yards sales is above and beyond the fun of hitting a sale in a retail store to me.  Probably because there are so many more variables and well, nothing beats finding an awesome deal for a quarter!!!

Before yard sale season begins each year, I usually have a list (at least in my head) of the gems I plan on hunting for all summer long.  This year, some cast iron cookware pieces have made the list.  Imagine my euphoria when a few weekends ago, I stumbled upon some beauties that were just the ticket.

               
Oh how I've been dreaming about cornstick pans and now I own two, beautiful heirloom molds and my wallet is only $6.00 lighter.  

They needed to be seasoned a bit, so I paired them up with a deep cast iron roaster I had that was in need of a fine tune. Voila! A day later I was ready to fulfill my dream of eating homemade, adorable cornsticks.

  
They did not disappoint.

Get yourself the recipe for crisp on the outside, steaming soft in the the middle cornsticks right here and while you could turn this recipe into a bread or muffins or not as artistic cornsticks try to hold out for a yard sale find -  it was worth the wait!  I don't know if I'll ever go back to regular corn bread again.

Cornsticks (adapted from Fanny Farmer)
1C yellow cornmeal                         3/4t salt
1C flour                                          1 C sour cream dip
4T sugar                                         1/4 C milk
1t baking soda                                 2 eggs, well beaten
2t cream of tartar                            4T melted butter


Preheat oven to 425*.  Heavily grease cornstick pans and put them in the oven to get them smoking hot until ready to use.  Combine dry ingredients together a mix.  Add in the dip, milk eggs and butter stirring until just combined.  Pour into hot cornstick pans and bake about 15 minutes.  (for bread, butter a 9x9x2 pan, pour in batter and bake 20 minutes).  The recipe made 14 cornsticks and had enough left over to make this cute little bread, too...






Field Notes:
- I wanted to make this recipe, but had no sour cream as the original notes called for.  I found this most random container of sour cream dip in the fridge and decided to recycle it into the batter.  Can I tell you how delicious the sticks were?  



18 comments:

Twee Poppets said...

Hello! Thanks for tagging along this week at the Tuesday Tag-Along blog hop! I'm a follower of your blog! :)

http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com

VKT said...

Wooohooo....this looks sooooooooo yummy! I am going to have to try it. There is an award for you on my blog today.

Jenilee said...

what a GREAT find! how fun! my husband LOVES garage sales. he can't hardly NOT stop when he sees one. I can usually pass unless I have cash on me and I'm in the mood to shop. :)

Leslie said...

those pans are so great...i love the shape. i can only imagine how good they were with that sour cream dip

Colleen said...

That's an amazing yard sale find and the recipe sounds pretty amazing too! I just made some corn bread recently and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't nearly as good as your corn sticks.

Darlene said...

I LOVE the hunt too at garage and tag sales. It gives me a thrill!! LOVE your cornstick pans. I have one of those too. I LOVE cornsticks!!! Your recipe sounds delicious. Also, that dip sounds like a great adaptation.

Hope you are having a great day.♥

Darlene said...

HEHEHEH did I say LOVE enough?????

blueviolet said...

Now that you mention it, I believe my cast iron pan came from a garage sale! I don't have a corn stick one yet though!

I LOVE garage sales. They've started here but it's so darn cold still. I can't bear to go.

alita said...

I love yard sales, too. I like the idea of calling them tag sales. Around here people call them garage sales. So many names, so many ways to save. I'm no pro at haggling a price, but I like finding a deal.

Oh and now I'm hungry ALL over again. Those look delicious!

Ps. Thanks for the compliments on the header. It took forever. Da hubbster taught me a few tricks though. Yay for computer nerd hubbys, right?!? Oh and Jibbers was named by Da hubbster. It is a slang word around here (um that I didn't know about) until my bro asked me if I knew what it meant. ha!

Graceful said...

Those corn sticks look melt-in-your-mouth good!

Ah, tag sales -- good ol' New England lingo. They call them garage sales in Nebraska...it took me a while to get used to that.

I love a good "tag" sale -- only an afternoon thrift store shopping beats it in my opinion!

P.S. thanks for listing me on your sidebar! ;)

Yellow House said...

I love the idea of having a summer garage sale list! Makes it like a scavenger hunt! I am really wanting some cornbread now! There are too many yummy food photos on blogs today!

Hope you had a great Mothers Day! Missed "seeing" you around! :)

Julie said...

For a preschool project, my son was asked to say what he dreams about. He said, "Going to a yard sale and buying everything." Sounds like you two are kindred spirits. :)

Teachinfourth said...

Cornbreadish type food? Rock on. You must be a good person because cornbread is good. You like cornbread, therefore, you are a good person.

I stumbled here via VKT's blog award. Congrats.

Pam said...

Yummy, thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to visit the bookstore and see you!

The Keierleber Characters said...

1. Thank you for your awesome comment!

2. I have been meaning to mention- yes it was Veggie Tales. We have every movie ever made, and we are in love with them! :) Veggie Tales Live is coming in the fall and we can't wait to take the kids!

3. My hubs is from Dallas so we are going to take the kids to their first Red Sox game in August, (Lord willing of course). We had to settle for a Rangers game unlike some people who actually get to go to Fenway!!! Ahh!! So jealous! :)

4. Too bad we don't "know" each other in real life! lol It would be so nice to go yard sale shopping with you- and cheering for the Sox together would be nice too! ;)

Gina F said...

I love those cast iron cookware pieces. I also love yard sales or garage sales. (Whatever You Want To Call Them) That Cornsticks recipe sure looks good too. I sure would love to try that sour cream dip also. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! :)

Gina
Visit my blog at http://motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

Kathleen said...

I love corn stick molds. I lost mine when I moved and have been wanting them ever since. I hope I can find mine at a yard sale!!!

CaraBee said...

Oh my stars! Helluva Good french onion dip IN corn sticks? HEAVEN. I am making those this weekend. Wow.

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs