May 04, 2010

George

Today is the kind of day when it's difficult to post something.  I was going to just skip it altogether, but then I figured if I used today as a release, well then maybe we might all learn a little something. 

So, deep breath, here goes...

Meet George






















Georgie was our unique"middle" dog.  He was also a loveable lunatic.  We got him shortly after Champ and I were married, as a friend for Sterling (while she loved him, she would snort at that).  

He was the type of dog who barreled through life, fought to sleep under the covers and never clearly understood why the actions he chose to do were usually wrong.

If George would escape, it was a given we could lure him back to the house by laying out a stick of butter in the yard.

                             (Sterling's 13th birthday party)

When Trot appeared in our life (we hadn't really been looking for a third pit bull), all three of the dogs hit it off wonderfully, but Trot and Georgie had a special "boy bond" going on.  George taught Trot how to hunt for frogs.  Trot tried to teach George how to behave in public.

Trot had Georgie in his life for less than a year and while George knew my pregnant belly, he passed away unexpectedly before he could meet Bear.


I was devastated.  I was also 8 months pregnant.



This picture is from Memorial Day two years ago.  It's the last photo I have of him.  Some of my dearest friends were gathered for the weekend and the hours were filled with giggles and laughter and children representing the beginnings of new families.


Georgie passed away on the final night, peacefully in his sleep and I would swear to you that knowing his passage was at hand (even if we didn't) he chose that memory-filled weekend to say his goodbyes.  It was comfortable and he was among those he loved.

Why oh why am I telling you this? 

Well first off, congrats for continuing to read. You must be an animal lover because anyone else would have called me (not George) the lunatic and signed off already.  They're entitled to that, but me?  To say pets are important to me is an understatement.

Animals have their place in my life: I'm grateful for the animals who nourish me with food, but I'm indebted to the pets who have nourished my soul.  Pets like George.

This week, three, count them three, souls of canines I've known have passed on.  Some might say "such gibberish TJ, they were just dogs", but Georgie was never "just a dog" and to be sure, neither were Kahlua, Leo or T.

If you're still here with me You Know.  You're pulling your iguana or rabbit close or snuggling with the dog eared picture of your late horse.  You Know. 


"A dog comes to you and lives with you in your own house, but you do not therefore own her, as you do not own the rain, or the trees, or the laws which pertain to them."  - Mary Oliver, from "Her Grave"
 
 

Fare thee well Kahlua, Leo and T

and Georgie- the lessons of adjustment, God's will and perseverance that you taught me from beyond the grave are strengths I would never have learned had it not been for you.  I miss you old friend.

26 comments:

Amy said...

I'm sorry you are having such a bad week, but luckily you have some wonderful memories. We have an American Eskimo who we have had for 7 years. He's such a great dog, but unfortunately we don't get to spend as much time with him as we used to now that we have 3 kids. What is nice is that the kids are starting to get more involved with him and I am loving that. I think I may be able to figure out how to get him more involved in our life now that the kids are a little older.

Yellow House said...

Oh, I am with you. I am currently reading the adolescent version of 'Marley and Me' to my class. My favorite line in the book is something like "we could have bought a yacht with the amount of money we spent on that dog, but yachts don't greet you at the door, tail wagging when you get home."

Marley's death is coming soon in the book. I am not looking forward to reading it aloud. Dogs are so precious. I love the quote you shared.

Thinking of you and your sweet doggies.

alita said...

OH YOU ARE IN MY HEART! I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was 17 when my favorite dog passed away from multiple sclerosis and it literally BROKE MY HEART. I still grieve, for heavens sake...

So with that being said:

You are in my thoughts. In my prayers. I hope that you mend your heart as best as you can.

hippie mommie said...

I wish I could give you a huge hug right now! And we could cry together! I am so sorry to hear about your losses. It breaks my heart to hear about a very much loved family pet passing on. Hugs and warm thoughts sent your way!

Mrs. Bird said...

I'm sorry, TJ. My dogs are 12 and 9 and I fear losing them in the coming years. My parents had a dog since I was 11 for 16 years, it was very hard to lose her, so yes, I know where you're coming from. I hope you feel better soon...

Serline said...

If loving dogs makes us crazy, then hello fellow lunatic! I always remind my hubby that he ranked rather low on my list: Narelle, the dogs, my 2 older kids, and then him. Oh, it's a toss-up between Narelle and the dogs, because they seem to understand and can comfort me better, when I feel down.

Kate@And Then I Was a Mom said...

I completely understand what you are saying. The loss of a dog is something you can't fill...such friendship is both enlightening and heartbreaking.

The Keierleber Characters said...

cyber hug from a dog mommy who is crazy in love nad proud of it! My hubs and I feel so embarrassed at our love for Jersey, (Bolt on the blog), but we can't help it.

I just teared up the second I read the title... I knew where it was going and I never can get through stuff like this tearless!

Colleen said...

I'm sorry that you had such a tough week with so many losses of the furry kind. I don't have a dog, but have mourned for a few that I've come to love. One of our favorite little Corgi's passed away this year. It still makes me sad. George sounds wonderful. You were so blessed to have such a character in your life.

Anavar said...

I always like to read animal stories and adventures. And the first photo of George convinced me to read on. It hurts when you lose a friend, in those moments you have to know there are other friends around you and will stand by your side!

blueviolet said...

I'm so sorry and I know pets are another member of the family and very dear to you. George was a special one, he was.

Pam said...

Now that I am crying in my cereal - thanks for sharing your memories. Check out The Art of Racing in the Rain for a wonderful "dog" story. http://teachingreaderstothink.blogspot.com/2010/01/art-of-racing-in-rain-by-garth-stein.html
Miss you, Champ and Bear, I need a Vermont "fix"! Happy Spring.

Pam said...

Now that I am crying in my cereal - thanks for sharing your memories. For a wonderful "dog" story, check out The Art of Racing in the Rain, http://teachingreaderstothink.blogspot.com/2010/01/art-of-racing-in-rain-by-garth-stein.html

Miss you, Champ and Bear. I need a Vermont "fix". Happy Spring!

Jingle said...

Nice to meet George,
Glad that you find something uplifting to share.
Happy Wednesday!
you Deserve Happiness.

Emmy said...

So sorry for your losses. I always had a dog growing up who really was a part of the family.. Hug!!

Graceful said...

No, no, no, I don't think you are a lunatic. Pets are family members, it's that simple. I'll never forget when my dad called me here in Nebraska to tell me our beloved greyhound Renee had passed away suddenly. Even though I lived 1,500 miles away, the pain was still deep.

Jenn said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! We lost our dog of 10 years last year and it was very difficult. Hugs to you!

Erin said...

I am crying, TJ. Georgie sounds so sweet.

When I was 21 we had to put our Yorkie to sleep. It was one of the worst days of my life, second only perhaps to the day my dad came out of the closet. I had/have not yet experienced the death of a close family member as of yet. But Darby was a member of the family.

When Monster dies, it will be very tough. I try not to think about it. He's only almost 6, but still....

I am so sorry for your loss. You and Georgie are in my thoughts and prayers.

Mama Zen said...

Oh, I do know! And, I'm so sorry for your losses.

JoeyRes said...

Very touching post - they are more than just pets.

Tracie said...

So sorry for your losses. I can tell that George was a special member of your family.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

This is a very sweet tribute for everyone who has such animals in their lives. :)

Aimee said...

No, no, my friend . . . not silly at all. Pets become so close to us -- it's a real bond, not just a figment. Heck, I even cried over the death of my fish! I'm sorry for your losses this week, but you know all dogs go to heaven :)

Jennifer Campbell said...

Oh my... I am crying too. I am sorry for you and remember when it happened. I love that last picture!

Jingle said...

http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/05/happy-birthday-christina.html

birthday wishes for a friend,
welcome join us!

ro said...

This was so touching to read Tina and brought back loving memories- Was Leo Jamie's Leo or another loved Leo?
I still remember my snowball, who graced our lives with 10 years of unconditional loving and Midnight, our cat of 24 years who grew up with our family. I believe that our pets that we love are a part of God's love that is shared with us. When they pass, that very real love goes back to the universe to become part of God. That probably sounds really smaltzy but it brings me comfort and i hope you. Take care. ro

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs