May 12, 2010

Montessori Moments: computer?

Yeah, "computer?" just about covers it. 

You see, the Montessori way doesn't really advocate for use of electronics- especially in kids as young as Bear.  I am all for that, mostly because there is so much for me and Bear to discover and explore at this age WITHOUT involving electronics that I figure why complicate? 

I'm not the biggest TV person (save "30 Rock"- oh how I love it!) and I'm married to a physical education teacher who'd much rather have a family bike ride than turn on the Tube, so Bear is aware of what TV is, but doesn't have lots of exposure.  

Same goes for the computer.  I mean, there was no avoiding Bear learning about what a computer is: he's been coming to work at the office with me since a wee little guy.  There's no denying his curiosity- especially if he sees his Mama working on a computer- so he is allowed computer time in very small doses.

One of our favorite ways to do this is by listening to songs together on the computer.  Bear's most favorite song to listen to is "Baby Beluga" by Raffi (I'm seeing all his I-phone friends nod their heads.  Thanks for sharing everyone!), but we have others.

                      (are you so over my Montessori literacy posts?  Good!  
                      This will be different)

For today's Montessori Moment I wanted to share with you some educational songs that Bear and I enjoy.  Again, video watching on the Internet is not really Montessori PC, but if you take away the electronicness (is that a word?) of it all, these songs do teach concepts that both Montessori and I would agree on.

My criteria is that the songs:
1) need to move at a slow, steady pace.  ie: nothing flashy 
2) can not contain incorrect words or sounds
3) need to be simplistic in nature and look realistic


Seems like that should be easy, but Noooooooo. Anyway, here are a few of our keepers:

The Number Song  (counting up to 20 and God bless their hearts, it actually starts with 0!!!)

The Coin Song (this one focuses on identification by worth)

Learn Your Coins Song (this one focuses on identification by shape and color)

The Shape Song (love all the shapes they mention)

The Color Song





Ever wondered about what life here in Vermont is really like?  Make sure you stop by tomorrow!!!!!!

8 comments:

Chana said...

Ohmygoodness! What an adorable blog! Your little Bear is just a doll!! I'm so thankful you stopped by my blog, so I could find your cute space. I love making new bloggie friends;) It's funny how connections are made...Beka from Hold On Love...posted a link on her blog to promote a post I wrote on MY blog for Mother's Day (it's called "How this Mamma Came to Be"- if you wanna check it out, U will know exactly where I'm coming from having a 22 month old youself!) and Yellow House followed Beka's link, commented on my post...so I went to her blog..and commented on her post...then you found me, and now I've found you! And we are all one big happy bloggie buddy community now! Horrayy!!

Sophie is almost 2. She turns 2 on May 25 (sniff-sniff). I'll bet she and your little guy would have SO much fun together! I'm happy to have found your beautiful expression of your life, and I am totally going to be your newest follower! Have a great day!

Colleen said...

If only I had little ones to watch these videos with. The kids and I do watch youtube vids together, but they generally are not about numbers, colors and shapes. :)

Yellow House said...

I am smiling about Chana's comment. We do have a fun little group all together as one. :)

Anyways... Can we talk 30 Rock please? I am still laughing about Buzz Alren yelling at the moon last week. :) That show is amazing.

And... Baby Beluga!!! As soon as I read the words, it starting playing in my head. Baby beluga in the deep blue sea. Swims so wild and swims so free! Raffi was a staple in our house.

Love posting here. So many fun commonalities!

JoeyRes said...

I'm afraid to show anything on UTube to my daughter until I've previewed it in full. I'm glad you weeded out some good ones!

I'd love to visit Vermont - I'll have to make sure I check it out tomorrow!

Leslie said...

he is so cute, so intent on his story. i can not wait to see and read your vermont story

Amy said...

I really need less computer and less TV in my life. The weather here this week is not so great so we have not been out as much as usual. I can totally see a difference in the kids. I can't wait for the nice weather to get here and stay! I plan to be outside as much as possible! I'm looking forward to your post about Vermont. It's a beautiful state.

Tracie said...

I love, love, love 30 Rock. I want to be Tina Fey when I grow up.

Carrie said...

My oldest is currently in a Montessori preschool and I love what it has done for her. She has learned so much and I think started doing things like writing and reading MUCH earlier than with a traditional preschool setting.

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs