May 17, 2010

Talk About Complex: Roasted Chickpeas and Rice


Last week was a whirl of activity.  There were moments when I wasn't even sure if I had my head screwed on tight enough as it was spinning so.

When I have days (or weeks, or months for that matter!) like that, I try hard to still eat as healthy as I can.  This can get difficult though, as usually I don't have a minute to spare in food prep and I most certainly don't have a brain cell left to figure out a new yummy AND healthy recipe for my family.

Do you have days, weeks, months like that, too? 

Well, one solution is to eat hot dogs and pierogies- which if I'm being honest here, did, um, happen last week as well- but another option is...

Roasted Chickpeas and Rice.  It is the simplest of simple things to make, provides a filling and healthy meal AND when combined with rice, contains all 9 essential amino acids thus making it a complete, or complex, protein.  Nice.


Roasted Chickpeas and Rice
1 can (or about 15 ozs cooked) chickpeas 
3T olive oil
1/2C shredded arugula, kale or swiss chard leaves
1 small red onion, chopped
1/4C crumbled bacon or prosciutto (optional)
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste

To prepare: toss all ingredients together and season to taste.  Add more oil if you prefer.  Place mixture in a small glass dish (although pie plates even work) and bake @400* for 20 minutes or until peas are golden brown.  Stir mixture 1-2 times while baking.  Produces 2 large servings.  Serve over rice- if you don't have brown rice fans, you can get sneaky here and at least have half white and half brown and your family might not even notice!


Field Notes: This is such a flexible recipe!  Up the serving quantity, add in more greens for nutrients- whatever!  Just remember to add in a bit more olive oil if you have added more ingredients to the recipe.  Also, when it is baking, it browns best if it spread out (and not piled too deep) in the baking dish.
 

19 comments:

alita said...

I'm so totally on board with the hot dogs and pierogis, but I have never been able to get past the smell of chickpeas to actually taste one. Do they taste like they smell? I'm bummed because I've always wanted to try hummus, but I'm such a wimpy food experimenter. I need to make that a goal THIS weekend. I'll let you know how that goes.

Yellow House said...

I don't think I've eve had roasted chickpeas. I will think of you next time I crave a hot dog and will make some of my own! :)

Have a great week!

Leslie said...

great idea...i love chickpeas. i have been known in the past just to eat them from the can with a little rinse and some S&P. COlleen and i roasted them last time i was at her house....with just some seasoning in the flour to bread them a little and them roasted them with a drizzle of olive oil. so yummy, and crunchy too

Colleen said...

Ha! Leslie stole my comment! So yeah, I like chickpeas too and I'm totally going to make this as soon as I can get to the farmer's market for some greens.

Pam said...

The swiss chard is ready to be picked in the garden, I must give this recipe a try .......

Liz said...

YUM! I think I will make that for lunch. Might even be good as a filler in a whole grain tortilla. I will omit the bacon since I've not eaten meat in about two months, but it still sounds great!!!

Thanks. :)
Liz
Loving This Mom Stuff

blueviolet said...

You have no idea how much I love chickpeas!!!! Unreal amounts of love. I just jotted this down to make for dinner tonight!

Amy said...

I'm going to have to try this recipe! I recently tried chick peas for the first time other than hummus and was pleasantly surprised at the taste. As you know I am so trying to eat healthy, but lately have not been doing as well as would have liked. I am now back on the bandwagon and will be planning our meals for the week!

Shell said...

Bookmarking this. I love chickpeas.

Chana said...

This sounds great! I'm a big chick pea fan! One of my "healthy" cookbooks (the one in the back of my cupboard thats covered with cobwebs and dust) has a recipe for home made Mac and Cheese, where you puree a can of chick peas with milk and add that into the cheesy sauce. It's SO good!

Graceful said...

My stomach is growling! The whole family here loves chickpeas -- must try this recipe!

Jingle said...

it looks delicious!

Kate@And Then I Was a Mom said...

Okay, so: YUM. Plus bacon? EXTRA YUM. I might try this tomorrow...talk about a good way to get protein into the kid.

Thanks, T.J., and hope this week is calmer!

hippie mommie said...

Come check out my blog tomorrow... I'm giving you an award! :)

Joey @ Big Teeth and Clouds said...

I don't recall ever eating a chick pea either. My diet could use help!

Erin said...

This totally sounds right up my newly vegetarian alley (leaving out the bacon, of course). YUM! THanks for sharing!

p.s. did you see my shout-out to you yesterday at The Purse Blogger's place? here's the link:
http://purseblogger.blogspot.com/2010/05/favorite-lady-of-week-erin-mother-load.html

Tracie said...

I was just thinking...."that sounds like something Erin would love" and then I saw her comment. LOL

I had no idea you could roast chickpeas. I'm going to copy and paste this.

PS We all eat brown rice because thats all I make. I sneak in the nutrition when I can.

Cheeseboy said...

Hot dogs and pierogies sound like my dream meal.

Allison said...

YUM! Made it tonight (w/o bacon of course!) and it was awesome!

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs