May 13, 2010

Welcome to Vermont!


Isn't the concept of "Blogtrotting" such a clever idea?  Leave it up to the lovely Cara Bee of Land of Bean to have thought up a vitrtual travel blog with such a smart little name!

I am so very excited to be a part of what she is doing over there.  Thanks again, Cara!


So welcome to Vermont everyone!  I love love love where I live and while I haven't always lived here, it most certainly feels like home now. 
 
 Do you know the film "I am Legend" with Will Smith in it?  Well at the end, the survivors all flock to Vermont.  Ask anyone in Vermont if this seems a bit outlandish and the answer would be NO! I mean, who wouldn't want to live in this gorgeous state?


Our state is divided into four parts: Northeast Kingdom, Northern Mountain Region, Central Vermont and Southern Vermont.  I live in a green patch of Southern Vermont.  Let me get you up to speed with my town.

This is where we are at with flowers blooming...

                          What, your lilacs have already bloomed?

 It snowed here in late April, but Spring is almost fully here.

I know this by the logging trucks I keep encountering on the road!  This is the type of "traffic" we have around here (well, that and an occasional tractor or cow). 

I live in a development, do you?  Mine looks like this...


Vermont is well known for it's barns, which we have a lot of as we are also well known for cheese and need cows, goats, and sheep to help out with that!


I am lucky enough to live very close to a dairy farm, but sadly, functioning dairy farms are on the decline.


We are also well known for maple syrup, but what you might not know is that true Vermonters purchase it in Mason jars...


I live in a region known as "Manchester and the Mountains" with Manchester being the largest of my surrounding towns.

This is down town Manchester. HUGE I know ;)

I love how there are mountains all around here.  If you look in the background you can see Mt. Equinox and that building by the dump truck is Northshire Bookstore, an amazing independently owned bookstore (more on that in an upcoming post).  Manchester also has outlet shopping and is the home of Hildene, the Lincoln family estate.

If you were to continue traveling down the highway, you'd hit Bennington, Vermont.


See the Bennington Monument?  It commemorates an important battle fought during the Revolutionary War, but it also was what I focused on as I was staring out the hospital window, laboring with my son.  I'll never view it the same way again!!

Let's check my phone book for other places to explore...


We have lots of hiking around here with stretches of the Long Trail and Appalachian trail running directly through some towns.  In the winter there is lots to do from snowshoeing to XC skiing to ice fishing to ice skating on local ponds to  straight up Skiing.

 
Lots and lots of people come here to ski and we have mountains and trails to suit everybody, even Olympians like Shaun White who enjoy a run or two at Stratton Mountain Resort during the World Cup of Snowboarding.

 
                 (Stratton Mountain is gorgeous in any season)

Heading back up the mountain from Manchester, we can continue through Londonderry and on into Weston.  Weston Vermont holds lots of charm with it's village green and lush surroundings.  It is famous for it's Weston Playhouse and of course The Vermont Country Store.

 Be warned- if you click on that link and start shopping, you will not be able to stop!!




If you travel a bit farther into my state you could learn how ice cream is made at Ben and Jerry's or tour the Vermont Teddy Bear Company.  



 Come spend a day in the state capital of Montpelier and learn that our state bird is a Hermit Thrush (click on it's name to hear it's haunting song) and that our tree is, of course, the Sugar Maple, but don't expect to eat at a McDonald's.  You won't find one here.

Of course, you could always head to Burlington, our largest city, if you really can't live without your Happy Meal, but seriously?  you should at least sample some of the yummy cuisine found on Church Street before crossing under the Golden Arches.  With all the local and fresh produce, meats, and cheeses available around here, it will be well worth it.


Thanks for stopping by to tour my awesome state of Vermont.  Come back any time!

36 comments:

blueviolet said...

I love how there are mountains in view in so many places. It appears to be full of charm, and now I would love to take a trip there! Very interesting about the syrup being in mason jars.

This was really fun!

Leslie said...

this was so much fun. i can not believe how close we were...i lived about 20-30 minutes from Bennington not that long ago, just over the border in NY. It was one of our favorite sunday afternoon drives....i love the VT country store. we stop there on our way to Maine for vacation...and Burlington is where we dream of retiring someday. I love VT.

Pam said...

Is it possible to be "homesick" for a place you have never called "home".
Thanks for the virtual visit.

BTW - I love the "blot trotting"...........

Yellow House said...

Beautiful! I spent a summer studying at Dartmouth in NH and loved it. That's as close to VT as I ever got. Your photos are gorgeous and make me long for a slower paced city/way of life. I say that as I am about to head to work in rush-hour traffic. I have a feeling that isnt an issue for you! Lucky!

Joey @ Big Teeth & Clouds said...

It looks beautiful! I've always wanted to visit the northeast - this made me really want to go soon!

YogaSavy said...

Love the idea of blog trotting. Places to see through cyber space! I enjoyed reading about Vermont.... maple syrup in mason jars! interesting

The Keierleber Characters said...

Gorgeous! I just love New England and would one day love to live there, (in some part)!!! :)

Colleen said...

Vermont is so pretty. I've spent lots of time driving through it on my way from NY to Maine, but not a lot of time exploring all that it has to offer. I have some children that would very much like to visit the Ben and Jerry's store this summer. I'll see if that fits into our schedule.

This post was very fun. Boy, does it look like you put a lot of work into it! (Writing "boy" seems weird, but I say it all the time.)

Michelle@Fromhousetohome said...

Looks like a wonderful place to live! Beautiful pictures. I have a hat from Ben and Jerrys that my mom got for me on a trip. Everyone always comments on it and asks how the tour was. I need to come up and actually do the tour so for once I can tell them I was there!

Thanks for sharing your special corner of the world with us!
~Michelle

Jess said...

Great tour TJ! What an amazingly beautiful place to call home. I may have to look into this blog trotting, how fun.

And no, our lilacs have NOT bloomed yet (boo hoo), so you're not the last one to enjoy them!

Miss Welcome said...

Vermont is everything that is perfect about the States to me. Thanks for the beautiful tour!

Carrie said...

Vermont sounds so much like British Columbia :) I'd love to visit someday, thanks for an awesome tour!

I've added your button to my "flair" collection :)

Chana said...

Beautiful tribute to an amazing place! Great post! I'm bookmarking it incase we ever decide to visit! You should work for the state! Haha!

alita said...

What a fun tour! I've always wanted to visit Vermont. Probably not during the winter though. I'm a sucker for mountains so I would probably very easily call the place home, too. I could live without McD's but my kiddos crave those nasty nuggets once in awhile. ick! Ben and jerry's though... I can totally get on board with that.

On a side note... I loved the movie I am legend. It got bad reviews, but honestly I enjoyed every minute (even the 10th time I saw it.)

mub said...

I loved this post! I wish I lived in a thriving development just like yours ;)

Next time I get syrup I'm going to request it come in a mason jar, I can pretend it's more authentic that way.

Kate@And Then I Was a Mom said...

We love, love, love Vermont. Adam and I head up every summer, and now Aura does, too. Seeing the mountains makes Adam miss his home state of CO a little less, I think. I was brought up to be more of an ocean girl, but trips to Vermont have changed that in many ways.

We've talked now and then about moving to Burlington, but I don't think we could take the snow--we get enough for our tastes in MA. So for now, we spend a few summer days wading in Lake Champlain, visiting dairies and sugarhouses, and watching the hot-air balloons in Stowe.

I can totally understand why you guys moved up there.

Aimee said...

What a great tour! And I seriously LOVE the Vermont Country Store. I just got a package from them today, no lie. I could do some serious damage if I ever showed up in person!

mep said...

I LOVE Vermont! My brother went to school at St. Michael's and I had so much fun every time I visited. I also attended a wedding in Manchester a couple of years ago and was able to squeeze in a tour of Hildene.

What a beautiful state! Great photos and great tour!

T.J. said...

I think my state glowed a little greener today in happiness for all these pro-Vermont comments :)

Jane In The Jungle said...

I LOVE VERMONT!!! My SIL is from Newport and we used to go visit her family on vacation (she now lives in Georgia, BIG change) and in fact my Tuesday post was about your state! Girl you are blessed to be living there!
And I would LOVE to go to the Vermont Country Store...alas I shop the catalog!!

Heather @ Gerber Days said...

I've never been to Vermont, but you are making me want to go!!! I love the photos!

Serline said...

Thanks for the tour! Closest I ever got to Vermont was one Labor Day weekend in Boston. My hubby's been there for skiing at Killington and Sugarbush though; his roommate came away with a broken leg ;-)

Amy said...

Vermont is a beautiful state. I've only been a couple of times, but enjoyed my visits! Thanks for sharing your pictures! I'd love to go back especially now that I have kids!

Sunday said...

Okay, I don't know about anyone else but I am ready to pack up and move to VT NOW!
I lived in the rural mountains of Colorado for 7 years in my teens and twenties and I miss it so much. I'm glad to see there is an equally beautiful place on the East Coast I can visit!

Jennifer Campbell said...

Wow!!!! I can see why you moved! It is absolutely beautiful, peaceful and serene... and I get that from just a few photos...can't imagine it in real life! Just amazing!

Shell said...

What gorgeous pics! I've been to Vermont- it was like 13 years ago, though. And I went to the Vermont Teddy Bear Company. :)

Thanks for visiting me on my SITS day on Monday! Yes, I'm even thanking regular visitors. LOL

CaraBee said...

What a great tour, TJ! Love all of the pictures! That one of your son(?) peeking into the barn is absolutely precious.

I read somewhere that Montpelier was the only state capital without a McDonalds. Amazing! I'm a bit of a french fry-aholic, so that might be a problem for me, but honestly I think it's pretty awesome.

Thanks so much for being a part of BlogTrotting! Great post!

Catherine Anne said...

Love this post!!!! Thank you so much for your prayers this week~

Coffee Slut said...

Beautiful photos ....thanks for sharing!

I have an award for you on my blog!

Teresa @ ♥ TOO MANY HEARTBEATS ♥ said...

I would absolutely LOVE to visit Vermont! My husband and I have always wanted to get in our car and head up the east coast from our home state of Georgia and see all the New England states. What glorious sights we could see! My mom and dad did it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Hopefully we'll get to do it one day!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog (from VKT's) and leaving such a sweet comment. I really appreciate it. I hope you will come back by again soon. I really love your blog. It is SO pretty. I just became your newest 'Follower' and I can't wait to come back and read more.

Hope you have a truly blessed weekend.

Teresa <><

♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥

Graceful said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane -- I spent much time in VT growing up in New England. Skiiing at Stratton...maple sugaring...small town exploring (our favorite inn is in Grafton -- have you been there? Best small town EVER).

Hey...this is a crazy thought...but depending on how close you live to the MA border, maybe we could get together for a bit when I am in MA in July???!!!

hippie mommie said...

Never been, but your pictures are very enticing!

PS- What software do you use for the coloring on your pics? I love that antiquish look with bright, vivid colors!

Jingle said...

http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/05/jingles-may-follower-award-week-3.html

have a fun night!
award 4 u.

Sharlene said...

First of all- I LOVE YOUR PICTURES!!! So gorgeous. Second of all- I love Vermont. It is one of my favorite states to visit and I swear there isn't a place in Vermont that isn't beautiful. If I could handle your weather, I would move in a heart beat.

Happy Blogtrotting!

So Pickin' Cute said...

Oooooo, Vermont is Beeeeautiful! Thanks for the lovely tour. :)

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

Oh, your scenery is beautiful! My husband would FLIP over the syrup in the Mason jars!

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs