June 11, 2010

Circles

It seems it is going to take me more than a week to figure out how to balance a new job, family, blogging and life.  Please forgive me as I struggle to work through this: I truly want to figure out how I can keep blogging in my life because it is such a fun time with all of you and a great writing outlet for me.


I can't even concentrate right now: Bear's learning to adjust to the new schedule and is struggling to sleep through the night AND no longer sleeps in on days when I actually am home.  No matter when I get up- he's up within minutes.  Seriously- I tried 5:30 Am this week and he STILL was up by 5:45!!!!!!  The boy usually sleeps in til' 9 so it somewhat has been cramping my blogging since my rule tends to be no post writing while he's awake.  There of course are other excuses, there always are, but I  won't go in to them here.  Instead let me tell you that:


1. I went with Danskos- thanks for all your suggestions!!!  My feet are sooo happy.


2. Company is due to arrive in a few hours for the weekend so I really should remind Bear to stop destroying helping to tidy the house or get out of my pjs at the very least.


3. I have turned off comments because I feel SOOOO guilty about not visiting your blogs and barely being able to comment these past few days.  Once I know I can reciprocate again I'll turn them back on.


4.  Here's the post I had created with Live Writer (finally!)...

Now that I am feeling a bit more back on track, am getting more comfortable in my new job and am a bit removed from the dog drama of the past few weeks, I wanted to tell you some tidbits.  Some bits and pieces that I’ve been pursuing to help begin to explain life to Bear.  


Or maybe I should say The circle of life, since that’s what we’ve truly been talking about.

Bear is barely 2.   I’m not about to tell him explicitly about murder and rape and unexpected demise, but then, what should I tell him?  I don’t want to hide death from him because our faith teaches that it’s a beautiful thing, yet for many (especially the young) it can be a scary thing, too.

As is my MO for any parenting question I have, I turned to Montessori.

Montessori suggests that grief and death are real and deep.  That it’s important to feel supported when you are going through a time like that and that it’s important TO SUPPORT others if they are experiencing grief in their lives.  Montessorians also believe that the circle of life is should be celebrated and recognized by all ages and that celebrations, rituals and activities can help with this.  

I liked reading that.  It was what I was feeling deep down, but I wasn’t fully ready to trust my instinct on it because the dog deaths were close to my heart.  I thought my feelings on the matter might be skewed… 

I somewhat had my answer.  I knew I could start the beginning stages of Bear’s understanding of life.  I recognized that for us, our Faith in God would play a large role with this.  My next hurdle was to figure out how to go about it?  My answer...

 IMG_1104

“Dog Heaven” by Cynthia Rylant.  Do you know this book?  Oh it was perfect for what I needed (there’s a “Cat Heaven” too incase you’re interested.)  I had totally forgotten about this book until one day about 3 weeks ago God easily placed it in my hands because, you know, I work in a bookstore now!

IMG_1105

It has simple text, gorgeous pictures and a delightful way of explaining how dogs live on after they have died and gone to Heaven.  

This book is not for someone who recently lost a loved one (they would most certainly bawl their eyes out- I would have), but it is perfect to use as a primer to begin explaining about God and Heaven and the circle of life.
We continue to read the book and talk about God’s love. 

I feel that the more we connect with it, the easier the transition will be the next time a loved one departs from Bear’s (and mine for that matter) life.

Miss you all and am really hoping to get this all figured out soon,
XOXO

0 comments:

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs