June 04, 2010

How does your recycled garden grow?

My plan of attack for today, my day off, is:

1. Garden garden garden!
2. Get caught up with all my bloggy friends
3. Attend a community spaghetti supper

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it, but first, two things I've been dying to tell you about:

Go Green

My wonderful friend Erin over at "The Mother Load"is all about being "green" and I love her even more for that!  She encourages others to do the same and blog about their experiences. So without further ado...

As I was working in my gardens today, I made a few hothouses out of bottles that were left behind when the Memorial Day crowd headed home.


I feel like there is a storybook title hidden in here somewhere.  Something like "TJ's Enchanted Recycled Garden", but seriously- isn't this a cool idea?!  My Dad taught me how to do it when I was an up and coming gardener and it works like a charm.


Try it out: just gather up any 2 liter or water bottles from your recycling bin (old mason jars work well too) and cut off their bottoms or directly in half (depends on how high a hothouse you need.)  If you want to get Fancy save the bottle tops so that you can screw them on or off depending on the weather.

Since I live way up here in Vermont, I keep the hothouses on the plants pretty much 24/7 unless they begin to look dried out for some reason or if the weather really gets balmy.  If you have warmer climates (aka warmer ground) or lots of direct sun, you might only need to use your hothouses overnight.  It's like a botanical magic trick.

The other lovely gal I need to introduce you to is my cutie pie friend over at In A Yellow House.  She just reached her 200th post and I am already eager to lay my eyes on 201!


To top it off, she just started 


It runs weekly and comes with prizes- say wha?  Yeah, prizes!!!  This week's theme is "Red"and I'm going with this snapshot



Not so much because it is a killer capture, but because, well there's red in it AND because today was the first time I was able to snap a shot of one of our many hummingbirds without it looking like a blurry mess which is hard to do people when using a point and shoot and tiptoeing around on the deck.  Thanks In A Yellow House for the inspiration!


Ok, now I'm seriously signing off...

20 comments:

. said...

seriously that is a hard shot to get, great job!

Darlene said...

Love your hummingbird shot. I haven't seen any around here yet :( We usually have quite a few.

That is a great idea for gardens in cold climates. We don't have that problem here....it has been in the 90's with 101 expected tomorrow....TOO HOT already!!! I think it is gonna be a killer hot summer here this year.

A spaghetti supper sounds delicious...have fun!

Emmy said...

That sounds like a fun contest. And what a great garden you have

Jess said...

Your garden is beautiful with those rock borders and recycled mini-greenhouses. I was thinking about using milk jugs the other day, but I'm afraid they would have blown away. ;)

Great job freezing that hummingbird! You really caught him.

Hmmm... a photo challenge with a prize, huh? You may just see me over there.

alita said...

I looooooooooooooooooooove gardens. Yours is cute! I can't wait to SELL and move so I can have a good sized garden of my own medium sized garden.

And I adore that humming bird shot, too.

Have a super fun weekend chica!

Just Anchored said...

Love the pic! You commented on my RED brick wall post for this contest and I wanted to tell you, if you're ever in the Knoxville, TN area there is an abundance of red brick everything especially in the downtown/old city area! It is such a fun place to shoot! Thanks for you comment!

Sarah @ Hippie Mommie said...

I've never heard of those little hot houses! Brilliant!

And that is one awesome picture!! Speaking of pictures- I've been playing around with the free picnik and am addicted!! :)

Diana Joy said...

Oh; fab shot. It is so hard to catch those little cuties. Congrats.

Colleen said...

I absolutely love that garden idea. I may just have to use that when I move back to Washington. There are quite a few veggies that don't care for it's mild summers.

Leslie said...

i love the garden idea....it looks fun too. pretty hummingbird, i mean red, picture.

WackyMummy said...

I just got caught up on your blog. Glad you're back and that puppy is happily on the mend. It's heart-breaking seeing a cast on, though.

Love your idea for the "hot-house" garden. If I ever get around to planting anything, I'll definitely do that. I'm so caught up in recycling everything I don't think I have any left!

I'll check out the yellow house gal... I'm always up for a new photo challenge. =)

Faith said...

ooh!! LOVE this its's perfect for in a yellow house RED challenge :)

Gina F said...

Love the garden idea. Enjoy your spaghetti dinner tonight. Love the picture with the hummingbird too. Great Shot! HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!! :o)

Gina
motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

Yellow House said...

I love your photo and I love your sweet garden. Once I finish removing the weeds that have overtaken our back beds, I will revisit this post and make some hothouses for them! They look irresistable.

So glad you have returned to blogging! Your blog is one of my favs, so I am glad to be back for a visit again! Have a great week!

Sara said...

Hi T.J. Thanks for the great comments on my blog skinnyonadime! I would love love for you to become a follower. Your blog is adorable and right away I love your energetic personality! Your "argh" post had me loling seriously and yes there are days I have a big fat ?? on my menus too :D... oh and I do love my publix they are the best you know.

Miss Welcome said...

Oh shoot, my comment got erased. I wanted to thank you for visiting my blog (the battleforfaith one). I'm ages late because I haven't checked it in awhile and don't get notified about comments. Why, I'm not sure ... but I was thrilled to have you stop by and leave comments. I finally got back on track and posted today.

So I'm going to have to tell husband about the bottle trick. It is brilliant, truly! I'm going to take pics today of our garden and post on my other blog (perfectwelcome). Ah, blogging life gets busy, huh?

Erin said...

Yay for your green garden! Thanks for grabbing our button and I'm so excited for you. Wish I had a garden. What are you growing in there? I am so far only doing herbs and trying my hand at tomatoes. We'll see what happens.....

xoxoxox

Menopausal New Mom said...

What a great way to reuse those plastic bottles!! I will definitely be tryig this and thanks for grabbing our "Go Green" button! Fabulous!

and I'm your latest follower :)

Crystal Rose said...

In my case, which I got a lot of sun, I am using these plastic bottles to protect the young shoots from predators like chickens. I leave the plastic bottles until they outgrown it. I never thought of these bottles to work as hothouses. Nice idea.

T.J. said...

that's such a great use for them too Crystal! I hadn't even thought of that :)

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs