June 07, 2010

Tornado Sunday

You're never going to believe this...

Yesterday Champ, Bear and I headed off to church.  We had a cozy family breakfast at our favorite bagel place, did a little grocery shopping for our company this weekend (yay for nieces soon to be here!) and we even had a teeny bit of time to squeeze in shoe shopping for me.  I don't like shoe shopping very much (it's true.  Weird but true.), but it's important I find a good pair of shoes for work because a few hours of walking around the bookstore and my legs ACHE.  Any suggestions?

Anyway, the boys dropped me off at work, I got about 12 minutes into my shift and then this: 

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the weather advisory has issued a tornado warning for Manchester and the surrounding areas.  You are safe.  Please proceed to the basement through the guidance of our staff."

Say What? 

I don't remember proper tornado procedure as part of my training.  CRAZY!  However, the well seasoned staff at Northshire pulled it of flawlessly and the crowd was calm and safe in the basement level shipping department and overstock of our store.  They actually seemed delighted that of all places to be stuck in a tornado, they lucked out with a bookstore basement full of magazines, toys and BOOKS.  45 minutes later we were all released to proceed about the day and hear the news that indeed, at least 1 tornado had touched down near town, but with barely any damage.

Work with me because the rest of this post can't even COMPETE with that news...


Today is our Girls On the Run pizza event.  This concludes my sophomore year coaching it along side my fabulous friend M...

 (M and I at the 5k event, scrambling to try and see all our girls)

It will be a great night and as I learned last year, I will be spending most of my time speaking around the lump in my throat and blinking away the tears in my eyes.

These girls make me so proud.  They are amazing.

If ever you are looking for a way to volunteer your time that involves running and girl power consider "Girls On the Run".

On the blogging front: 

- I followed some of your suggestions and tried out Windows Live Writer to create a post- sooo impressed with the ease of it.  I think I'm going to be writing all my posts that way because it saved me quite a hunk of time.

since you are all so smart and wise and have cute hairdos and perfect teeth, do you think you could help me out again? 

- My bloggy friend Kate at "On A Chicken Wing and a Prayer" recently e-mailed me to say that she is unable to post comments on my blog.  Any tips on how I can fix it?  I don't have moderation set up.

- I love my new job.  I love blogging.  I am working to find a balance of the two while still keeping my sanity on the home front.  Hang in there because I'll eventually figure it out!  I feel a sort of "blogger constitution" post coming on... 

18 comments:

Mrs. Bird said...

Wow! Tornados are scary! That's why I live in New Mexico...very few natural disasters :) Glad to see you back and that you like Windows Live Writer. I probably would have quit blogging altogether without it. Have a great day!

Jess said...

Oh, so glad there was minimal damage. Being at the complete mercy (or lack thereof) of the weather is one thing on this earth that is completely frightening.

Windows Live Writer, huh? Gonna have to check it out. Thanks!

Julie said...

yikes! tornados! Can't even imagine. It's 110 degrees here! :) Glad no one was hurt.
It is hard to balance it all, isn't it?

Darlene said...

Glad you were safe in the basement. We always go to the storm shelter across the street from us when a warning is issued. A bookstore sounds like a wonderful place to work.

No help for your friend, but I have a feeling it is something to do with her computer settings since no one else is having problems commenting.

Nap Mom said...

I recently heard about Girls on the Run via the Today Show on NBC. Obviously, this year would NOT have been the year for me to participate, but I want to make this a goal for Lulu and I next season. I already looked online and Annapolis has a group. Yippee! I hope to write about our participation next year.

Colleen said...

Yikes! A tornado! If I had to hole up somewhere for the duration of a storm, a bookstore would definitely be at the top of my list.

Where do nurses get their shoes? You could get a pair like that. I'm sure they are comfortable.

And windows live writer? I'll have to check it out. I think I've heard of it, but never looked into it.

Kate said...

I'm trying again TJ...maybe this time it will work. I have a totally new computer. I wouldn't blame you for blocking me.
Tornado?? Isn't that kind of unusual for you guys up there in the northlands. How random!! Glad everyone is safe...sounds like the folks in Ohio were not so lucky.
As for comfy shoes...I'm comfy in those weird MGT tennis shoes or sandals. I also find the Keen Mary Janes comfortable. Good luck.

Kate said...

Yay, Yay, it WAS me!

Pam said...

In the basement of the bookstore! Interesting! We were in Jamaica (VT, of course), tree went down across the road and we had to turn around, note to self - Do NOT rely on the GPS!
Have a fun week!

Yellow House said...

Woweee! That's quite the adventure you had! Glad everyone is safe and sound.

I always have so much to say when I am here! Where to start? Shoes... invest in some Dansko clogs if you havent already. I have them in brown and black. They are not the shall we say, sexiest of shoes, but they are wonderful. I wore them through my waitressing years and now they have followed me to the classroom. Merrills and Aerosoles are also good.

Hear you on the tears. I can already feel my end of the school year tears welling up now. Ugh. Wahh.

Going to check out Windows Live Writer myself now! Sounds exciting and fun!

Erin said...

that's super scary about the tornado---glad you are okay!

as for shoes---I have heard a lot about Danskos. My mom is on her feet all day and has some that she loves, as well as one of my BFFs. They are pricey, but worth it. They last. You could probably get some cheaper on-line or maybe even on Ebay or something.

Leslie said...

TORNADO!!!! wow, that is crazy. those are so rare in these parts. glad everyone was ok. i have loved danskos...they are great, comfie...keens are nice and ther is always the trusty birkenstock!

Gina F said...

We don't get tornados but we get hurricanes. Glad everyone is safe. The best kind of shoes are Danskos. Good luck on finding a pair when you go shopping. I will definitely check out Windows Live Writer.

Gina
motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

blueviolet said...

I'm glad you like the new job and I can see where it would be tough to find a new balance with blogging. I'm gonna have to try that Windows Live Writer!

alita said...

Isn't it fun to work during a tornado warning? When I worked as a hotel front desk receptionist our task was to call EVERY SINGLE ROOM before we retreated ourselves. There was no automated voice thingy. EVERY SINGLE room. In a hotel full of windows. Fun let me tell you. LOL!

Great pic of the running. I start running (again) today. Back in the day I did about 5 miles a day no problem, today I'll be lucky to do 2. But we'll see. Good for you! Mentoring and health education are so important.

Caroline (Frogmum) said...

Shoes ~ number one choice would be a pair of Crocs! #2 choice would be a pair of hush puppies (that's what I wore on 12hr shifts when nursing). No glamour just pure comfort!!
Glad no-one was hurt in the tornado.

laney said...

Oh my goodness...a tornado! I'm glad noone was hurt.

I would love to find Girls on the Run. I'm trying to find people to run with because it is so boring by yourself. I am dying to do a 5K, but I'm so intimidated by them. I don't know why...I use to run cross country in high school, but that was 18 years ago!

I completely understand the whole blogging balance. It is so hard to balance life as it is and to add something else that takes time to do...is so hard to manage. :)

Emmy said...

Had to come comment here. I hope things calm down for you soon and you are able to adjust. Change, whether good or bad is always hard. And hey if you don't have time to blog much for now it is totally okay. During my month of craziness while I was able to blog/journal I could not get around to blogs like I wanted to, but you know in some ways it was a relief not to feel like I had to get to so many blogs. So just enjoy life, there is a time and season for everything. And when you are able to blog, I will still be here :)

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs