July 26, 2010

A Pirate’s life for me


I had fun this weekend, did you?
This guy certainly had a fun weekend.

espresso

he helped make a birthday cake-
A PIRATE Birthday cake, Mateys!
(some of us also had espresso to keep the energy flowing, but that’s besides the point).

To warm up for this culinary weekend, I had made some yummies a while back.  One of my recipes involved these simple ingredients:

IMG_1222

chocolate wafers and a pint of whipping cream that’s been (you guessed it) whipped.  I just assembled it Oreo cookie style,

IMG_1224

coated the whole thing with the remaining whipped cream, added some chocolate jimmies on top and let it hang out in the fridge for a while.  I have no photographic proof of what I just told you, but trust me that it is exactly what I did.  

And trust me that the end result was a smashing success.

This weekend's dessert was different.  It was a pirate ship: it had just ransacked some gold from unsuspecting targets and the pirates on board were about to make poor Granny walk the plank.

walk the plank
                (this is so not appropriate)

It had a mermaid at it’s bow and her tail at it’s stern;  shark infested waters and cannons set to fire.

a pirate's cake for me!

I think the birthday boy man liked it. 

What’s more-the giggling and gossiping with the other skalleywags in my galley made me question whether or not a pirate’s life might indeed be for me...

Naaaah, but making pirate cakes?  Now that has TJ written all over it.

PS: Happy birthday to my newest sweet sweet sweeter than sweet- niece C!!!  Can't wait to meet you!!!!

12 comments:

Leslie said...

this cake ROCKS!!!! i love it. you are so creative. that mermaid is awesome....and walking the plank. too funny!!!

Jess said...

Awesome cake! Shark infested waters? :D

Home-made creative cakes are childhood memories they'll always keep. Happy Birthday to your little man.

Catherine Anne said...

Oh I have missed you. LOVE the cake and his sweet face as he looks at it~

Yellow House said...

Whoa!It might be time for you to switch careers, my friend! You have some serious cake skills! You should enter that Cake Wars show on the Learning Channel. :) Your pirates would win!

How fun to see what you've been up to. Thanks for those fun book titles you sent me yesterday. I might just have to go devour each one of them! Have a great week!

Emmy said...

Cute cute cake! Love the canon candles.

Darlene said...

What a FABULOUS cake!!!! Great job on it!

blueviolet said...

That looks utterlyh fantastic!

Graceful said...

That cake rocks! My husband is the baker around here...I always say, "Just run over to supersaver and buy one for crying out loud," but he can't -- he bakes love right into those cakes!

Jenilee said...

pirate cakes! you are such a fun mom!!! love it :)

Joey @ Big Teeth and Clouds said...

That is such a cool cake! Mine would crack like a shipwreck for sure. I'm jealous of your skills!

Erin said...

you did an amazing job! i'm jealous like joey. i can't do anything near that. just plain frosting and you're lucky if i can do some writing on it!

The Mommy said...

Wow! You've got some serious skills. It looks great and yummy too:)

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs