October 18, 2010

computer laundry day

Do you let your computer file get a bit "messy" just like we might allow laundry to pile up downstairs?  Yeah well, my picture files on my computer were a bit out of control.  At the end of each month, I typically post some videos for friends and family, burn those videos and my favorite pictures from the month on to a disk and then delete everything off of my computer.


I was 3 months behind in this process!

Can you even imagine how good it felt when I finally wrangled all my photos into submission this past weekend?!  I saved a few though to share with you.

Like this one: 

last month we bough a few bushels of corn from the farm stand, ate our weight in corn on the cob for dinner and then froze the rest.  There AIN"T NOTHIN' like the taste of fresh corn in the middle of winter!!!  To prep it, we add the corn cobs to boiling water, wait for the water to boil up again and then remove the cobs and rinse under cold water.  We shuck 'em when they are cool enough to touch and put in baggies for freezing.

When we were at the wedding, my parents sent us home with 


Mmmmm, Concord grapes from their grapevines!  I set about freezing some, eating some and juicing a bunch of them so that I could make jelly (the juicer comes in so very handy for extracting the grape juice goodness!).


You might remember that my family, especially my Dad, enjoy ourselves some grape jelly,


so I made enough to share (Dad, act surprised when you get this for a birthday gift in a few weeks).

Since during that week I was spending most of my time in the kitchen, I streamlined it a bit and came up with two quick tips along the way.  I'll share my brilliant thoughts with you.


First up, see that pour top on my olive oil?  That's new.  I finally wised up to the fact that I am constantly reaching under the sink for this oil or that vinegar and it takes time to unscrew each top.  I had those bartender spouts floating around, so I corked a few bottles with them and VOILA I cut my bottle opening time by like a whole 1/4 second.

Bear likes to draw.  The area under my sink tends to get sticky with oil residue (not any more with my handy dandy spouts though!) so I keep some of Bear's pictures under the sinkThey make me smile when I see them and I feel good about recycling the paper into another use.

I used all the free time I created for myself in the kitchen to upload and experiment with Photo Shop Elements 7 (PSE 7).  I still adore Picnik the best, but I spent a bit of time in Elements and came up with these:



How cleansing this post felt! I might just go do my real laundry now (oh wait, Champ did it this morning because he is awesome).

Well then, this laundry day is beginning to look better and better.  May your day be the same!
 
 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs