December 10, 2010

Merry Crow

My birthday season was lovely, Thanksgiving flew by (with an awful stomach bug raking our household, ugh) and now

OH MY

it’s almost Christmas!!!!  For us, that also means Champ begins working weekends at the mountain which adds a lovely dimension of panic to my already slightly (ha) hyper seasonal mood.  

I’m gonna try to keep it cool, remain calm and carry on. Promise me you will do the same this Christmas?  Good!  Because otherwise we will miss all the true joys of the season and that would be a travesty.

My caveat here is that occasionally, for whatever the reason, I do  recognize the brilliant joys.  

Like yesterday when I took Bear to see the holiday concert at Champ’s school.  It was all that one would expect at a concert encompassing K-8th graders and it was perfect.  I nearly cried with pride as I watched some familiar faces sing their hearts out, clap their hands in almost perfect time or wail away on their recorders.  It struck me that if I feel that connected to these young souls then how moving it will be when my own son is shyly (or maybe not so shyly) up on that stage some day.

Another moment came earlier this week as I was orchestrating our holiday storytime at the bookstore.  I felt it when the bright, icy sunlight began to stream in and the little faces gathered around me looked up eagerly as I read from the comfy, worn leather chair.

This, this was what I missed the most when I stepped away from teaching.  Here it was:  a glimmer of that wonderful unexplainable feeling, gifted to me on a random Wednesday morning.  I savored ever second of that gingerbread and giggle infused moment with my young listeners.

Let me pause here to remind you that “young listeners” also means active listeners, so I gauge my stories accordingly! 

merry christmas merry crow

“Merry Christmas, Merry Crow”  by Kathi Appelt is a new favorite of mine.  With rhythmic, rhyming text the crow flies through the town picking up a scrap of something here, a bit of something there.  Where is he headed?  Why to an evergreen tree in the middle of town, of course!

The children helped me decorate our own crow tree as we read through the story and the end result was a whimsical, lovely replica.

crow tree

If there is one gift I could pass on to you this holiday season, it would be the feelings gained from my recent experiences.  The thing is though that we all experience events differently; so instead,  I wish that you may come upon these full hearted feelings of love and contentment each in your own time and your own way.

With love and cheers,

0 comments:

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs