January 10, 2011

Everyone and their mother can "make you banana pancakes…"

Do you know the banana pancake song? 

banana pancakes_filtered

It’s good, right?  Jack Johnson is awesome and talented and it’s sad really that I never knew of him until Bear came along.

I know what you are all thinking- oh right, right the “Curious George” soundtrack, but NO we came to know of Jack Johnson’s talents in another way.

One Sunday afternoon when Bear was very small, the family was in the car and Bear was very upset.  We really didn’t know how to please him and then...

“If I Had Eyes” came on the radio and Bear clammed up like that.  The song ended, and well, it was a long drive.

The following Sunday found us purchasing “Sleep Through The Static” so that we could play “If I Had Eyes” whenever we needed to.  Let me tell you all, I’m shocked that the CD did not wear out long ago from us playing it over and over and over again when Bear was younger.

Anyway, back to the pancakes.  My friend G makes the best pancakes in the world: hands down.  I can’t share his secret recipe with you, but I can share this adapted recipe for banana pancakes.  They are not usual, or icky.  They are scrumptious.

I’m usually all for substitutions in recipes, but this time around, I offer no guarantees.  These pancakes are so perfect and well rounded (ha, get it?!) that I’d be hard pressed to change it one iota, but you can; just don’t tell me you did.

yum yum_filtered

Banana Pancakes

(with this kind of deliciousness and healthiness, they’re not just for breakfast anymore!)

1 1/4 all purpose flour

1/4C ground oats

1/4 C ground wheat berries

3T baking powder

1/2t salt

3T canola oil

3T barley malt

1 1/2 C milk (or a little less depending on consistency of bananas)

2 eggs

1T lemon juice

3 old bananas

1/4 (or more) chopped walnuts

1/4 chocolate chips

Mix up your dry ingredients and set aside.  In another bowl, stir up the eggs.  Add in the oil, barley malt and lemon juice.  Mash up one banana and add it it, follow with the milk.

Add to dry ingredients, stir up and add walnuts.  Slice up remaining bananas.  Proceed to make pancakes as usual, sprinkling a few chocolate chips and banana bits onto each pancake as you make it.

Enjoy every bite!  With the nice size batch this makes, they taste spectacular the next day, toasted.  

*comments closed* (also, the orange text?  Looong story, but I'm not changing it now!)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs