March 14, 2011

A book review- sorta...

First off, the computer is back in my possession!  I picked it up this Saturday; days after I had planned on retrieving it, but a household of stomach bug invalids (myself included this round) can really slow a plan down.


I'm tired of writing about my computer, so you are probably tired of reading all these silly update posts.


I offer a remedy...


No more computer talk from me.  I'm still on a borrowed computer as I try to get all the systems updated and protected on mine, so just know I'll blog when I can and I hope to be back in full soon.   

When I do officially return there will be some changes around here that I know you are gonna love!!!!

While I was back in the dark ages (in between caring for ill family members or being curled in a ball by the toilet) I got all kinds of caught up on things I'd been meaning to do-


Like read! I recently read:


Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
The Reliable Wife  by Robert Goolrick
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff
Lovely Bones by Alice  Sebold


I was all over the place with topics, but I desperately wanted to read each book.  Every single one was a treat to me and if I were to offer notes, I'd say:


"Ethan Frome" was a superb gothic, creepy tale and "the Reliable Wife" fits this category too, except a bit more contemporary.  "Water for Elephants" and "Lovely Bones" were extraordinarily written and the type of books that kept me up reading in to the wee hours of the night (for me that's like 10pm).  As for "The 19th.Wife", it is historical fiction that mesmerized me with it's information about the Mormon faith.  So much so that I am now eagerly devouring "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer.

Bear got caught up on his reading too and discovered that he really, really likes the book "Stranger in the Woods" by Carl R. Sams II. 


It's a great storybook; detailed with photographs about how on one snowy day, some woodland creatures chance upon a strange snowman in the woods. As we finished the 5th consecutive reading of the book, Bear leaped from my lap and announced we should make our very own stranger in the woods.


So we did.



In the middle of our frozen lake.


While he was a cheery sight from our window


Bear was disappointed that no woodland animals were coming to visit.



Then one day, a fox risked it all to visit the melted snowman in the middle of the open lake




and he feasted on seeds, chestnuts and a carrot to his heart's content





until he discovered the compost pile: a much safer, just as delectable place.  And you know what Bear said about the whole thing?  "But why didn't the deer come like in the book?"  


 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs