March 31, 2011

Our version of Sherwood


We went for a walk in the forest: 82 acres of State woods that flow up to our property.  We like to pretend it's all ours and on days like this one it's pretty easy to do.


Nothing to be heard but children's laughter, jingling dog collars and the call of the red winged blackbird.  Pine leading to maple leading to a birch-filled swamp.  Our beloved marker: a downed log cushioned by snow and moss.


To describe our journey we use words like forest and knoll, hollow and sunburst and it all feels so idyllic, almost Sherwoodian.  I take it in as the children giggle gallop from tree to tree.  The dogs cavort, smiling the old dog smile, grinning the young dog grin.


There's no rhyme or reason why I'm telling you of our walk; you weren't there, but it remains memorable to me for this:

a mother, her charges, wandering the snow-chilled forest.  Released in to nature; breathing clarity in to the mind and a prayer in to the heart.


It seems I'm no longer seething about others' magnificent cherry blossoms blooming or the quickly approaching snow storm.  I live in Vermont with a Northern forest in my backyard: I can live with cold and snow even in April.  

12 comments:

Jess said...

I've decided that since it's warmer now (warmer being relative, of course) that I'm gonna enjoy it too. We have mud along with the snow now. That means it's warmer. ;)

Thanks for sharing your walk, it looks like a perfect day!

Mrs. Bird said...

Way to live in the moment ;) Looks beautiful!

Colleen said...

Cherry blossoms? I'm sure you're not talking about little ol' me, right? ;D

It's been raining all week and it feels awfully cold and we don't even have any fun snow to play in, so I'm just the teensiest bit jealous of your winter playground. Teensy bit... not too much.

You have the absolute best backyard that a kid could ever grow up with! Bear is a lucky, lucky boy!

Amy said...

It is so awesome that you have that acreage right there in your own back yard! We have hiking trails about 2 miles from our house and took the kids there for their first hike about 2 weeks ago. I loved it. If I had that right at my back door, I would be in heaven. I'm not sure it would make me like the winter any more here in MA, but it certainly would help!

blueviolet said...

That's absolutely fantastic out there. I'm glad you take advantage of it.

Kate said...

Getting outside can really clear the head. I'll leave the snow to you, though! I don't take kindly to snow in April!

Emily said...

Snow in early April used to make me so, so frustrated - especially when I was living in Maine and didn't have the spare time to deal with putting on the boots, cleaning the car off, climbing over snow piles, finding the gloves... BUT seeing your pictures makes me miss Northern New England! There is something so peaceful about the sunlight bouncing off the snow, no matter what season it is. Spring will arrive for you and you will appreciate it so much more for every snowy day you have now! Make a snow angel for me!

Jennifer Campbell said...

Amazing pictures!!! Looks like you had a wonderful day!

Emmy said...

That would be awesome! You all look so happy. Beautiful pictures. Great capture of your dog running. We had just a small wood behind our house in Utah and it kind of felt like ours, it is nice

Pam said...

Greetings from the Island of Capri. Just wanted to share a hello from our "little adventure"! Miss you!

Jennifer Campbell said...

Hey lady...
I am giving you a stylish blogger award... check out the details here...
http://happy2scrap4life.blogspot.com/2011/04/blogger-award.html

cooler said...

Wow!! Hopefully It was a great day all you guys had so much fun I like all the pictures, these are great.Thank you for sharing with us.

bamboo outlast blanket

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs