May 03, 2011

Buntastic


It is the calm before the storm right now- literally.  The skies are darkening and the umbrella over the patio furniture really should be folded down before it blows into the woods.

I love days like this.  Somehow things seem to slow down on stormy days even if in actuality they don't.  Of course, it helps that Pandora is playing a bit of Krishna Das for me, I'm sipping some sun tea I made, Bear and his buddy, C, are cozy in their beds and I am finally settled in and ready to blog for the week. 

So what about that burger up there?  It is a turkey burger with all kinds of goodies hidden in it like apples and flaxseed, but I'm not here to talk about the meat, I'm here to talk about the roll because another thing besides a rainstorm that makes me calm and happy is a quick and easy roll recipe I've finally got one and I'm willing to share.


What follows is an adaptation on pizza crust.  It offers you the potential to come home to a conundrum of ground meat just aching to be burgers, but no buns to put them on: 30 minutes later and you've got dinner!!!

3C flour (mix and match if you want as long as 1.5C is a version of white)
2T or 2 packets of yeast
1t salt
1C warm water
2T olive oil

- combine all ingredients and knead for 2-3 minutes- I usually use my Kitchen Aid to do this while I prep the burgers.  Preheat oven to 425* and grease a baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal.  Roll dough into desired ball size ( I usually can get 6 rolls out of a batch of dough, especially since I make the one for Bear a little smaller) and place on baking sheet.  If you have time, allow dough to rise for 10 minutes (if not, bake immediately).  Bake for 12-15 minutes.

field notes: I added 1/2 t rosemary to the dough since I love that herb with turkey and then I brushed melted butter over the baked buns and sprinkled them with coarse salt and some more rosemary.  They were heavenly...

    
We all enjoyed juicy turkey burgers with savory, home baked rolls at a decent dinner hour because eating turkey at 8 or 9 at night?  That's for the birds.

6 comments:

blueviolet said...

I've baked homemade bread before, but never have I tried rolls. It's as good a time as any to start!

Leslie said...

i would love it if you shared what you put in your burgers....i am always looking for a new turkey burger to try. i love them!!! this roll is something i have to have....putting the ingredients on my grocery list!!!!

deb duty said...

This looks delicious. Nothing's better than a good homemade burger, but homemade rolls too! That sounds awesome!

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

I'm sure they are yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy!

But *poor ol' me* has to eat Gluten Free. -pout-

Enjoy one, for me!!!

Gentle hugs...
Please let me explain...

Colleen said...

Your buns look amazing! heehee! :D

Emmy said...

Oh yeah! I am printing this out! Thank you thank you

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs