May 31, 2011

Rainbows and Play-Doh

Someone


looked ridiculously cute at the wedding this weekend.  Well done, Bear, and CONGRATULATIONS again A & D!

Since the day- heck, weekend!, had a rainbow theme to it, I'm carrying colors in to this week with a post about my favorite kind of homemade play-doh.  Somewhere along the line I acquired a "recipe" for the stuff and it's been my go-to ever since.  It's simply printed on a a piece of paper with the credit going to "Erica, a reader from Pittsburgh, PA."  So, thanks Erica.


Play-Doh wih Kool-Aid
4C flour
4C water
1 envelope unsweetened powdered Kool-Aid
1C salt
4C water
4T oil
1/2C cream of tartar  
Mix everything in a medium size pot.  Cook and stir over low/medium heat until dough is completely formed and no longer sticky (approx. 8-10 minutes).  Cool and store in an air tight container with a slightly damp paper towel or cloth.
 

                     (how do you take a flattering picture of play-doh?!)

It is quick to make and produces a large quantity.  The Kool-Aid makes it smell sooooo yummy- my tip about coloring would be that you could have all the colored packets on hand that you want and then sprinkle each color into the base dough until it is just the right hue for youThat way, you could make the whole rainbow of colors if you'd like and still have Kool-Aid left over for the next time you make play-doh.


Cream of tartar isn't hard to find and is quite cheap if you buy it in bulk at a health food store like we do.  The doh lasts for some time if you remember to keep it sealed when not in use and the towel a bit damp.  

Orange and cherry and grape scents?  I'll take that over the true "Play Doh smell" any day!

10 comments:

blueviolet said...

I found cream of tartar in my grocery store, but I can't remember why I bought it because I haven't tried this recipe. Now I'm so curious!

Leslie said...

that is such a fun thing to make for the little people...Bear looks so handsome in his fancy duds!!!

Kate said...

Bear looks adorable with his cherry cheeks! The play-doh sounds fun. I'll have to try it.

Winn (aka Koreen) said...

Don't forget the flour in this recipe! ;)

Lady Jennie said...

I kind of like the play doh smell actually. But we have banned the stuff in our house since it always ends up on the rug.

Caroline (Frogmum) said...

I make my own playdoh ~ no idea what Koolaid powder is, but otherwise a similar recipe! It's great for rolling and cookie-cuttering, but not so great when they want to push it through those things that make longs strings ~ then it just gets all stuck and makes cleaning them out a nightmare. The 'real thing' is more rubbery and easier to pull out of the holes, so we buy it once in a while for a treat!

Colleen said...

I don't like the smell of "real" playdough, so I'm sure that I'd like this recipe far better. My mother used to make edible playdough, but the thought of eating something that you've been smooshing and rolling out for hours is just too gross.

Have a great weekend!!

Emmy said...

Cute little guy! And that is a good recipe- I make the same one- it is so soft. Though I must admit it is kind of nasty when you are mixing it-before it gets the right consistency-makes me gag :)

Pam said...

Thanks for including my blog, love the Pay Doh recipe! Anxious to visit with all of you!

T.J. said...

Good catch, Koreen! I've since changed it :)

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs