August 23, 2011

Tender at the Bone

Our visit to the beach wasn't just full of sand and seafood- there was time for some beach reading and I savored every page turn.

                                              Trot's literal nose in a book


My librarian had recommended "Tender at the Bone" by Ruth Reichl and since she has never steered me wrong before, I checked it out.

It's a slightly older book and nice and short.  The author uses it's pages to construct an autobiography that is hysterical and believable with an easy reading flow that had me flying through the pages.


The story centers around Ruth finding her foodie soul and so it appropriately begins with the author's childhood.  Here it traces all the events that led to her feeling the need to protect everyone else from her mother's cooking: the stories she tells- you can't make these things up!  Each chapter brings the reader closer and closer to understanding how her appreciation of all things food developed over time; honed with trips to France, dealing with her mother's bipolar disorder, commune living and teenage angst.  Seriously, a bright, funny read!


It reminded me of Barbara Kingsolver's  "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" in that recipes are woven throughout the text.  Like the "Artpark Brownies" that I just had to try making.

                                      oh yes, they were good

Next up is an intriguing fried chicken recipe.  Anyway, I really enjoyed this book and it lives on in my kitchen.  Even if you aren't into recipes, consider this read for the belly rattling laughter it provokes.

As for Kingsolver, I haven't forgotten her message in "Animal Vegetable, Miracle"...


We (that pretty much means Champ) spent Sunday afternoon processing 2 bushels of corn.  A few pints of hot dog relish, and some wax beans were put up too.  So now we have no fear- come winter, any threatening blizzard can dump down mounds of snow and we will still be found happily eating hotdogs with relish, corn and beans.  The quintessential January meal.  What?  You don't agree? 

6 comments:

Jess said...

Okay. I may have to look for that book. Animal Vegetable Miracle is one of my all-time favs.

smalltownmom said...

A delightful meal for any time of year. Good books, too.

Emmy said...

Sounds like a great book. Love love corn on the cob as do my kids. Need to go buy some more now :)

Pam said...

Just did roasted corn and froze several containers. Enjoy the final weeks of summer.

blueviolet said...

You're so ambitious, and I am so NOT. Perhaps I'll just dine at your place in the winter months.

I must read that book too!

alita jewel said...

I neeeeeeeeed a good book to read.

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs