September 01, 2011

A Vermonter's view

             (a former field in Chester, now a barren flood created river bed)

Thank you all for your concern!  Champ, Bear and I are fine.  Guiltily fine actually, as we have electricity and are dry and safe in our home. 

I still can't bring myself to post pictures of people's personal property that was destroyed.  I would feel evil doing that since I have so much to be thankful for and others, just down the road, have lost everything.


There is that fine line though of posting things so that the public is aware, so that you can see what the townspeople around here are dealing with.  I hear You Tube has some fascinating stuff up.  It must, since these few pictures I'm about to show you are simple and halfheartedly taken, yet still display some of the raging impact the flooding had.

 


This is once of the roads that actually fared OK and is considered passable.  Turn left just after those cones and you'd usually be at Londonderry's Farmer's Market each Saturday.  


Turn around and you can't go any further because of bridge damage.  This was the parade route we took our friends on during the Fourth of July.  Those pregnant belly shots were taken in front of the mill restaurant and the kids posed for pictures down near the river; that bench they are sitting on is long gone.

 

Our community's soccer fields now have a boulder field strewn across them and the river here has naturally created an entirely new path. 


That tractor out there is totally breaking the soccer field rules.  Someone should hike out there and tell it.

There have been inspiring, striking sights too...


like this 20 truck long National Guard convoy, headed to Brattleboro just like we were except that my travels were for a 34 week baby check-up and theirs were for checking and helping those in need.

Thanks to the Guard's efforts as well as countless others offering their services, more grassroots efforts of relief and recovery can begin.  The Stratton Foundation has tirelessly organized local efforts in my immediate communities.  Head there if you are looking for more footage of the damage or ways in which you can help out.

Now that a few more roads are passable and local agencies are able to assess where acute need is, I will be away from blogging for a bit, choosing instead to help out in whatever way I can.  Love to all of you and thank you again for your sweet, sweet comments of support and solidarity!!!!!  

5 comments:

blueviolet said...

I'm glad you're safe, but I'm sorry to hear about all that damage.

angela said...

I can't believe all those rocks on the soccer field! Who knew something like that could happen.

Love you tractor comment :) Gotta laugh a little or else you're crying.

Emmy said...

Thank you for sharing this. I think since the storm wasn't as strong as predicted a lot of people have written off how much damage still occurred. I am glad you are safe

Pam said...

It is so sad, we were just there! Please let me know if the schools need anything, we are always up for a service project. Will visit in the fall...............

Kate said...

I've been concerned about your trips to the doctor. I hope you are able to make it. Being pregnant and cut off from medical services would be no fun. Prayers for all in Vermont!

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs