January 31, 2012

Easier than herding cats


We have about 1, 845, 392 of those little plastic creatures that come in the Toobs containers.  I knew there had to be a Montessori project in there somewhere, so I chose Bear's favorite (the cat collection) and came up with a little something.

I attempted to herd those cats into a math game.


I cut out 10 pieces of paper for cards and wrote a # on one side and drew that number of circles on the other.  I also kept persistently urging the cats back into their holding container.


I set his sandpaper numbers from 1-10 in a little bowl and then, after I modeled it a bit, the fun began...


Bear happily set about corralling his cats by picking up a card and placing a cat in each circle.  Once each space was filled, he did a quick head count and checked the back of the card against his counting.  Finally, he dug through his sandpaper numbers to find the matching number.
   
Judging by the amount of times he's gone back to this activity since I've set it out, I'd say this brainstorm was a success.


6 comments:

Amy said...

Great idea!

Leslie said...

you are a genius that is such a great idea....i love montessori work for little kids.

Kate said...

You are amazing! How do you have time to do this?

Nap Mom said...

SCORE! Good job Momma!

Pam said...

Oh I think there is a book title idea in there somewhere, oh yes, Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag written in 1929, thanks for the idea. . . I do hope you are all well . . .

Katelyn said...

Good work, momma! If you need an idea for cheap/home made spindle boxes let me know!

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs