March 20, 2012

Montessori mobile


So, admittedly these photos are almost a month old- Champ still has his winter beard, Bear is in his firefighter phase and Ace still has infant (not chubby baby like now) arms.  but wait! Stay with me here because these pictures still serve a purpose!  A while back, Bear made Ace a Montessori styled mobile and it was so quick and easy and well received that old pictures or not, I'm plowing ahead to tell you about it.


I bought a handful of wooden circles and then this funky mobile base to hang them on from our local wood store, but a coat hanger wrapped in ribbon could even work for this project.



We read Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Day  by Robert Frost and illustrated by Susan Jeffers.  I just adore this book- and poem!  That link not only leads you to the book, but to a lovely blog with lots of other ideas on how to use the book.  For this activity, I kept it simple.  We discussed the story and talked about where we might go in the snow, but we really focused on the illustrations as they are mostly done in black and white.


Montessorians strongly believe that infants enjoy and learn from contrasting pictures of black and white.  I had prepped the wooden circles by painting 3 solid white and 3 solid black.  After the story, Bear painted abstract designs on each circle with the contrasting color.  Once dry, we strung the circles to the mobile and let Ace have at them.

It's true babies, or at least Ace, really do enjoy the contrast of black and white and thus he began his Montessori exploration of color.  And if you read between the lines, Bear began his journey of being the proud older brother who knows just how to please his sibling.
 ps: Blogger is blocking me from changing those sidebar pictures over there, so yeah- they are waaaay outdated too ;)

2 comments:

Pam said...

Love it!

Nap Mom said...

Excellent. I love "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Day" and wrote a paper on it in college. I will never forget it.

Reading to children is my life's passion - that I will be exploring more this summer (hopefully semi-big announcement coming soon). Thanks for linking to the enrichment activities - great idea! I love them all.

I've always wanted to start a book club for my kids and their friends. It's just never worked out. However, here is a post I found about a mother-child book club. This mom started a "book club" just with her own kid. http://kidsactivitiesblog.com/parent-child-reading/

The mobile is adorable. Adorable. What a great gift from a big brother.

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs