April 20, 2012

Tiramisu


Did you know that I am Italian?  My red hair* gives it away, doesn't it?  
 Maybe because of my genetics, or maybe just because I love FOOD In General, I am a sucker for tiramisu: the creamy, chocolately mocha dream with lady fingers drifting all around.  Who wouldn't like such a thing?


I wake sometimes to find myself salivating for this confection only to be stopped in my tracks... WAAAAH.  There are no ladyfingers left in the house (yes, this is indeed what I dream).  I need not enter into that nightmare any more- check it out- at this week's yard sale, I payed $1.00 for a ladyfinger pan!  Oh yes, I came right home and made up a batch of tiramisu and it was the stuff GOOD dreams are made of.  



Even if you never stumble upon a ladyfinger pan, just buy some at the grocery store, whip the heck out of the remaining ingredients and cover the whole thing with cocoa.  the.end.

TJ's Tiramisu

2 eggs                1/2 C whipping cream that's been whipped and chilled
8 oz mascarpone                             2T Kahlua
2C strong coffee or espresso          about 18 ladyfingers
1/2 C sugar                                   1/2t rum extract
2T cocoa


- separate eggs.  Beat yolks with 1/4C sugar and a pinch of salt until thick and light yellow in color, about 4 minutes.  Add in mascarpone and rum extract, blend all well.  Gently add in whipped cream and set mixture aside.  Beat egg whites with 1/4 C sugar until peaks form, but not dry.  Stir some of the egg whites into the yolk mixture, then fold in the remaining whites.

- Add kahlua to coffee mixture.  Carefully dip each ladyfinger in the liquid then begin to cover the bottom of a small bowl or pan with the cookies.  Add enough dollops of the mascarpone mixture to cover the cookies.  Cover with ladyfingers, then add more mascarpone.  Repeat.  Depending on how wide/deep your pan is, you might get one more round of cheese/cookie layering in.  End on a mascarpone layer and dust the top with cocoa.
 
Eat your creation.  Then ask for seconds.


(*ps: remember I henna?)

2 comments:

CailinMarie said...

looks and sounds so yummy! I do love tiramisu and I have never made it, nor have I made lady fingers...
the vegan hubs is away tomorrow...
your photos rock btw

Mark said...

I'm sure my kids would love this! They love mango floats and tiramisu as well.

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs