April 13, 2012

Yo, Gurt!


This picture lets you know where I stand today: unedited, a bit unruly and messy, less than thrilled and quite behind on everything (Winter?!  That's so last month).  There's yogurt there though, so let's focus on that.  It would be quite spoiled if we were to eat it since this picture was snapped LAST SEASON, but what's the difference?  You are all stuck out there in Bloggyland anyway.

                                     (a plain version)


I have a Euro Cuisine yogurt machine with those nifty glass cups which makes everything so very portable and cute!  I've tried the Mason jar way and the crockpot way, but this little pot system is my favorite because of it's ease and really, a simple yogurt maker like I have pays for itself in no time flat.


Seven jars fit in there at a time and I have a second set, so sometimes I do one round and then another and have a fridge full of yogurt.  These jars are deceiving- they seem small in the photos, but boy you can pack a lot of yogurt in there, so seven tend to last more than 7 days.

My supplies:
- 1 carton of milk (You won't use it all and I don't use raw milk because it gets to runny)
- about 1/4 C cream or half and half
- 1 small container of store bought yogurt, flavored to your liking
- sugar (optional, but honey or maple syrup tend to make it runny)
- fruit (optional) 
-flavorings (optional)

I use one of the glass jars to measure out 5 and 1/4 jar fulls into a bowl.  I then add in one jar full of cream.  After that, the container of yogurt is added and 1/4 C of sugar or so if I'm using it in the batch.  I stir everything up and when it is mixed, I divide it into each of the yogurt cups and turn the machine on for 8-12 hours.  Usually that means overnight and on into a bit of the morning.   The headspace left in the jars leaves room for me to add in the toppings later.


Once the space pod (as Bear calls it) looks like this and the yogurt seems to have set, I top them off with whatever fruit I've made, screw on their lids, and toss them in the fridge.


The fruit is assembled while the yogurt is cooking.  I gather a handful or two of berries and then cook them down with a little honey or maple syrup (those sweeteners work ok here because they are cooked with the berries).  The berries are cooked to get some of the excess water out because water=soupy yogurt.  The mixture is cooled and then dolloped over each yogurt . If I made a bit too much, we just pour it over some oatmeal.  
 
   
That's all I do.  There's no prewarming of the milk and I don't strain it after it's cooked because we like the consistency just as it is.  I'm telling you easiest.yogurt.ever.  And you can get so creative!  We've added crushed pineapple, toasted coconut, and cinnamon apple bits as flavors before and I typically add vanilla extract or bits from the bean itself to the initial mixture.  The possibilities are endlessly yummy and we ruminate on future combinations as we slurp these concoctions down.

*edited to add the proper yogurt maker name and a link

15 comments:

Jess said...

I used to make yogurt all the time and somehow fell away from it. Putting this on my list for next week! :)

smalltownme said...

I was just thinking of getting a yogurt maker -- thanks for this!

Amy said...

I so want to make yogurt, but I don't handle dairy well and neither does my oldest and if he sees yogurt he will want it. Looks delicious though!

Leslie said...

hey i have one of those yogurt makers and chris always makes fun of me because i have never used it.....you make it sound like a breeze!!!

Emmy said...

That does sound easy! We go through a lot of yogurt in our house, so might be work looking into

Devon said...

I didn't know these yogurt makers existed... interesting!! I wish I was more of a yogurt eater! Maybe I would be if I made it myself!

Kate said...

I love a certain Greek yogurt I buy at the store. Do you think homemade tastes better? Is cheaper? Is it healthier?
Super mom, you are!

A :) said...

I use the same yogurt maker. its what i used to make my breastmilk yogurt in too :)

Annie said...

I also had no idea yogurt makers existed! Yum. I'm normally not a fan of store-bought yogurt (too sweet) but I've recently become a HUGE fan of Chobani Greek yogurt, especially the one with pineapple. SO good. If I could make that stuff, I'd be eating it all the time (probably not so great on the waistline).

Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog :) Let's keep my fingers crossed I happen across this smoking hot lad! :)

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

I don't have the patience to make it myself, but you are so impressive!

Mrs. Bird said...

You officially rock! I've been dying to try making our own yogurt...

Emily said...

You make this look so easy that I think I might be able to do it. Yummm, I was craving yogurt all weekend after I first read this!

Nap Mom said...

The full review is great. I have a coworker who made yogurt and gave it a poor review. So, I never gave it another thought.

Fabulous and thorough review... very helpful Love it!

Anonymous said...

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a friend who has been conducting a little homework on this.

And he actually ordered me breakfast due to the fact that
I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.
... Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending time
to talk about this issue here on your web site.
Here is my website :: glass bong review

Mark said...

That is a sure way to make a healthy and fresh yogurt. It looks so easy. Thanks for the recipe.

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs