July 23, 2012

Grunting our way back home

And a happy Monday morning to all of you!  As you read this, I am headed on the long journey home from Virginia.  We spent a much too short (I'm sure of that no matter if I'm typing about future events) weekend catching up with all sorts of family.  To be specific, family from my Dad's side: New Englanders- yes, now transplanted south- who still know how to throw a wicked clambake (of this I am also sure).  Give me time to get some laundry washed and welcome Champ's family in for a few days and then I will tell you all about it.  For now, thinking of my cousins and Uncle and Auntie remind me of all things New England... including blueberries.

I finally allowed us to crack into the last bag of frozen blueberries as it is chanterelle mushroom season and blueberries are sure to follow close behind.


Blueberry Grunt 
1 1/4 C water
3/4 C sugar
2T cornstarch
juice of one lemon 
3 C blueberries

dumplings (combine all ingredients together):
1 1/2 C flour
3.5t baking powder
1/2t salt
2t sugar
3/4C milk

~combine water, sugar cornstarch and lemon juice in a pot.  Bring to a boil, stir to keep smooth, cover and simmer 5 minutes.  Add berries and cook uncovered 2 minutes more.  Make up dumpling batter and drop spoonfuls of it onto warmed berry mixture.  Cover and simmer- without peeking- for 12 minutes.  To serve, place dumpling in a dish, cover with a scoop of blueberry mixture and a spoonful of homemade whipped cream. (from "Famous New England Recipes" -Dolores Riccio)

field notes: this is a delicious recipe!  Mix it up a little- I sometimes use lime juice, or spelt flour, or honey in place of the sugar.  If using frozen blueberries add in another 1/2t or so of cornstarch or arrowroot.

3 comments:

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

That looks unbelievable! I am dying over here to have a bite!

Leslie said...

this sounds delish...have a safe journey home.

Jenilee said...

yummy!!! looks so wonderful and have a safe trip home!

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs