August 27, 2012

Pillars of a vacation


Fun?  Of course we had fun on vacation, Cape Cod would offer no less!  We are settling back in to the QUICK pace of life here at home as Champ begins teaching again, I begin my job, and Bear begins preschool in 2 days.  JUST 2 MORE DAYS, OH DEAR!!!  A post is coming with scattered beach pictures and a child in goggles, but for this very moment I have a tidbit or two to tell you and then I will scram.  This is the last uninterrupted day to spend with my almost preschooler and we have some good times planned.


Ace is 10.5 months old; the youngest we've ever taken our children on an extended vacation.  All that really means is that he is still in cloth diapers, and cloth diapers on vacation?  Well, I had no idea what to expect, but I really wanted to try and see it through so diapers were rinsed and cleaned the old fashion way and hung in creative spots.


That rail right there was the view from our cottage doorway and it housed it's fair share of diaper liners throughout our stay.  Champ figured out another ingenious way to dry them: our room had a propane heater and if we draped the diapers over it, the heat from the pilot light dried them out in no time (hmm, as I write this, it sounds like a fire hazard, but I promise it wasn't).  All in all, a good system was in place and Ace had plenty of diapers- yay!  In full disclosure, I should tell you that Ace uses his toilet occasionally, but even if he didn't, we still would have been fine, so if you're considering taking your own cloth diapered baby on a trip, think out your game plan and then go for it!  Yes, yes I will blog about this whole toilet thing later, once I figure out a um, graceful way to tell you about it.


My parents were with us for most of the vacation and they added an extra element of love and playfulness to the mix.  It was awesome.  They also added some extra sets of eyes and hands which freed me up with some time to read.  a book. at the beach.  Imagine that!  It felt so very luxurious to slap the beast of a book, "The Pillars of the Earth" (973 pages- oh my!) onto my towel and drift away.  I had cracked it open before vacation and by the grace of God I am now somehow finished with it.  This was my first Ken Follett novel as I'm not a huge fan of epic historical novels nor thrillers, but my buddies down at Northshire were right- this was a book for the ages.  Set in 12th century England and pivoting around the desire to build the greatest cathedral ever known, the book introduces memorable characters left and right along each page.  Villains and heroines, knights and monksFictional characters and characters and events of history: Thomas Beckett even makes a showing.  


The book wasn't my style of writing either: short, choppy sentences and a constant up and down roller coaster of action and emotion, but I held on.  I held on to learn more about medieval times, and because as awful as some of the revelations were, I simply could not stop digging deeper.  Somewhere along the way, it turned from a challenging read to an intriguing one. 

We returned home to some purple potatoes being ready, and squash. 
 Lots of squash.
 
Laundry is just about caught up on and the garden continues to provide quick and yummy dinners, so a day of play it is.  I will go gather up my boys and you should consider going to the library...


6 comments:

smalltownme said...

Oh, OH! That last picture of your sons is just precious. What a sweet big brother!

Katelyn said...

I'm glad you had a great vacation!!!! I'm a little jealous ;)

Colleen said...

Having family with you while on vacation certainly makes dealing with little ones lots easier!

I may just look into Pillars of the Earth... someday. I do love great-big, giant, historical novels. :)

Have a wonderful day with your not-quite-preschooler. :)

Jess said...

So happy you were able to escape as a family before it's back to the grind again. Preschool? Hardly seems possible. I don't want to think about it, but I only have my little one home for another year before she starts too!

Emmy said...

Oh sitting on the beach and reading a book sounds so heavenly!! We went out of town this weekend and whenever Ryder was napping I was back in the condo reading a book and thought that was heavenly. :)

And good for you for being able to cloth diaper on vacation. And yes cannot wait to hear about the toilet!

Pam said...

Glad you had fun on the Cape. Thanks for the book recommendation. Might want to try 11/23/63, not your "run of the mill" S. King book.

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs