November 15, 2012

Capturing Carrots


The carrots were the only thing left to get out of the garden, so when the weather warmed up last weekend I headed to my two patches.  I then distracted myself from working by deciding to take a picture which led me to tromp in to the house for the camera and then to fiddle with the Manual setting (because I am determined to learn, hear me??!!).  I was so going to take a picture like all those other blogs with the standard issue "picture shot from above with cute shoes and some sort of produce or pile of goods in it".  I snapped and all the screen displayed was carrots.  I repositioned and hit the shutter again.  Carrots, nothing else.  And again.  
Carrots, just blasted carrots.


Finally it dawned on me, OOOOH they are using a wide angle lens to take those shots!!  I grabbed my fisheye attachment and thank the Lord Almighty got my carrot pile and boot shot.


It just confirms that even the seemingly easiest pictures to take might just have a little secret of their own behind the lens.  Makes me appreciate quality photography that much more!!  The same quality that is totally lacking in my carrot pictures, but eh, there's other things one can do with carrots besides mount photos of them on the wall.

You can make soup!  Here's a super yummy, super fast recipe shared with me by my sister in law S:

Carrot Ginger Soup
2T butter
2lbs carrots peeled and chopped
2 onions
6C chicken broth
1C cream
2T ginger (I use fresh, chopped)
- put onions and butter in stockpot and heat over med-high until onions are transparent.  Add broth, ginger, and carrots.  Heat to boiling then cover and reduce heat.  Simmer until carrots are tender and then puree.  Add in cream and serve. 


Or, you can make those fruit purees your toddler is so interested in!  My prototype involves a cake decorating bag and some masking tape.  I then dig around and find any produce that would make a good puree candidate- especially if it's been hanging around a little while.


Anything and everything makes the cut: apples, pears, blueberries, cherry juice, bananas, tofu, grapes, kiwi, last night's green beans, CARROTS...


They somehow end up tasty no matter what is in them and the boys think it's simply fabulous to eat them.  My prototype is quite wasteful though and more times than not I spoon the puree into a bowl rather than a disposable bag.  My crew does not think that is half as fabulous, but now that I've solved the "picture shot from above with cute shoes and some sort of produce or pile of goods in it" I'll have more time to devote to creating a sustainable puree dispenser.



2 comments:

Kate said...

Ace is getting so big! Can't believe you are starting toilet training. You are amazing.

Jess said...

You are just the sweetest thing ever, you hear me???! ;) Love this post. LOVE.

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs