January 31, 2013

If only they sold oregano oil at 7-eleven


Still riding that wave of sickness?  Here is a list of tips that helped us muddle through it.

-Oregano oil. I read this book a few months ago and decided to give oregano oil a try as it is considered to be anti viral, anti bacterial, anti fungal, and anti inflammatory (among other traits).  It continues to impress me.  I rub a few drops into our feet each night before bed as an immunity booster, and rub some into our chests if congested or coughing.  We take it internally if in full battle with a cold.  I put 3 drops (about 5 for me) into a little bit of water or juice.  Ace likes the stuff enough that I can put a few drops in his drink cup and he sips on it all day long, otherwise we take the drops every 3 hours or so over the course of a day.

-Coconut oil.  Some claim it is anti fungal and antiviral. Here's what I know: it feels heavenly to rub some on an irritated nose.  If it helps keep the germs out while moisturizing, well then all the better.

- ginger lemon tea.  A few hunks of peeled ginger root, a squeeze of lemon, smidge of honey, and some hot water.  ReliefSteeping it in a Teavana tea tumbler that a super awesome friend gave you is optional.

-Elderberry syrup.  My sister-in-law, S, introduced me to elderberry syrup, maybe in your family it was your grandmother.  Whatever the case, it is a proven immunity builder and we take it daily during the winter months.

-Apple cider vinegar.  You know how you can almost feel a cold coming before it truly hits?  You're a little off, a little dizzy.  Maybe you are extra sleepy and don't have an appetite.  As soon as I notice myself  becoming unbalanced I take 1T ACV in a little water and keep at it every few hours over the course of the day.  I don't know why it works exactly- maybe the balancing out of acidity in my system?  No idea, but it has helped me get two feet back on the ground.  It's not a cure-all, I still get colds occasionally, but I've found that if ACV can't nip 'em in the bud, it does help limit their duration.

-Thieves.  The back story to how this oil was created is worth the read.  I make a homemade version of it and use it in the pot of water on the woodstove, and to wipe down door and toilet handles.  Once again, we rub it on our feet whenever I feel our systems could use a little boost.

Sometimes all of the above just doesn't fully cut it.  When that occurs, pile your sons into the car and drive to 7-eleven (your nearest store).  Buy a few slurpees*, peanut butter crackers, and 7-eleven's version of Tylenol cold (because that's all they apparently carry).  Come back home, feed the boys their super healthy lunch, take some cold medicine, and all curl up on the bed.

*for the record, the medicine blew my mind and I won't be taking any more.  However, that slurpee was just what the doctor ordered. 

1 comments:

Pam said...

Interesting ideas. I also am convinced vit C in large doses for a cold, along w/ zinc, echinachia, rose hips. The BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and tea or toast) for the stomach virus that seems to have hit everywhere! Hope you survive the winter!

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs