How best to describe Earthing? Well, it's the concept that the more closely we are connected to the Earth, the more in sync we feel with our world. Hold up though! The word "earthing" sounds weird in and of itself; describing it with a matra type tone just makes it worse. Starting over...
The Earthing Institute describes Earthing in this way:
Do you have the gist of the claim? Skin contact (even if lightly covered with clothing) with the Earth results in good vibes. In less modern times this was easy. Who even wore shoes?! And when he or she did, the shoes were soled with leather- a breathable, natural material. Now life has become more complicated. We are disconnected from the Earth's energy because of the rubber soled shoes we wear, the phones and gadgets in our pockets that send out vibes (some would say negative) of their own, the sheer lack of time spent outside in soil and grass and water.
When I first hear about earthing, there was little information on the web so I ordered the book, half expecting it to be a big crock 'o... but still I ordered it seeing as I enjoy both fiction and non-fiction reads. I read it. Thought it over. "Earthed" and talked about it with my children. Occasionally thought I sounded like a quack when discussing it with Champ.
Here's where I am at with earthing:
- I think the general concept is great. I've always disliked shoes, so an excuse to go barefoot? Sure!
- I don't live on a farm so there are no questionable substances in my grass and I don't live in a city where soil and grass are a bit harder to come by.
- my crosscountry coaches in college encouraged us to occasionally run barefoot. I figure they were on to something
- I don't see shoes on folks at the beach, but I do see a lot more smiles. Hmmm...
- I would never in a million years buy any earthing products to enhance my experience
- but I did buy sheepskin moccasins (natural sole) for the boys and I since at the end of summer we needed new shoes. They are so cozy it makes me happy to wear them... could it be the earthing effect?!
Bear thought bear needed his own pair of earthing shoes
I'm glad to have discovered earthing. A little reminder blip goes off in my brain when the boys and I are outside. Sit in the grass for a minute! Dip your toes in the lake! Garden without those clogs on! I DO feel better when I am barefoot-regardless of if it's a placebo effect or the true effect of earthing.
Intrigued? Outraged? Here are some links to help firm up your decision.
Good luck whatever you decide and may the flow be with you.