July 24, 2014

Montessori Moments: clank cans


I stumbled across a brilliantly easy idea: clank cans.  Over at Making Learning Fun there is a post about using old oatmeal canisters and canning jar lids to create an interactive storybook review.  Intrigued, we finished up our oatmeal within days and then created a clank can based on the book "Brown Bear Brown Bear" by Eric Carle.





I printed out the pictures from the site: a title page and smaller pictures of all the characters in the story.  The title page was glued, then taped onto the canister, and a slit cut into the lid.  I used packaging tape to affix each character picture onto the canning lids and then we were good to go!



As I read the story, the boys placed the appropriate character into the can as we came to that animal's page.  They caught on quickly and soon Bear was retelling the story page by page while Ace was placing the character lids sequentially into the can.  We keep it on our center shelves and both boys gravitate to it- independently reading through the story and clanking the lids into the can.  Such fun!  And an easy, tangible way to improve on an already awesome storybook.  I am on to contemplating the next clank can we will create as soon as we finish up this latest container of oatmeal.  

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
I don't know who you are but certainly you're going to a famous blogger if you are
not already ;) Cheers!

Look at my blog post :: Bubbles and Giggles Nursery. Nursery for children 1 - 4 years

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs