February 02, 2015

Montessori Moments: (Ace 3 yr old update, Groundhog Day snack, and hidden Valentines)



True story: on precisely the same day, in the same year, two astounding events were forever tied together.  1) Puxsutawney Phil predicted more winter 2) it continued to snow heavily in Vermont. Imagine that?!  So we acknowledged this prophetic Monday with groundhog snacks and some reading up on the subject at hand.




Eventually I'll go outside, but the snow seems to be up to my neck (if not my hips at least) and I'm not quite ready for that kind of winter commitment just yet.  Let me do a bit of housekeeping here instead.
****************************************************************
I have now officially begun Ace's introduction into daily Montessori inspired important work.


- sorting sounds (I use Words Their Way pictures because I used to teach and so these
are what I have on hand.) 
For a little glimpse into what this means, visit this post about tracing letters or this one on working with sounds.  The label "montessori moments" on my sidebar also has lots of info about what we do.

We begin his important work time with a sprinkling of calendar activities.  Having previously been a kindergarten teacher, I simply can't help myself.  I loved teaching calendar time!  So we have a little set up with numbers and the month and the moon chart and a few other things.  All in all it takes about 5 minutes, but the amount of info it can expose him to is staggering.  Perhaps in the future I'll do a post on it, but for now imagine our calendar time to be styled like any preschool/kindergarten room.   





                                     an alligator activity we did recently

Other elements of his important work include: lots and lots of stories, early math concepts, sound introduction, and a little bit of science, arts 'n crafts, and seasonal activities thrown in for good measure.  We put in about 5 hours of work a day.  JUST KIDDING.  He's 3.  Do you understand the attention span of a 3 year old?  It's limited.  He leads the way with time, but most days it's broken up activities totaling to one hour.

Time for me to go explore the great white white white outdoors.  It is still snowing which leads me to believe that Punxsutawney Phil is quite the sage.


                  
PPPSSSST!  Launch  of book review posts coming up later this week.  Stay tuned.

PPPPPPSSSSTx2!  Are you looking for homemade Valentines ideas (Not you, direct family!  Do not click on those links or else you'll RUIN the surprise of Valentine's Day for yourself)? 
                                                     These are rockin':




9 comments:

elizabeth said...

:) how fun! staying inside sounds very reasonable with that much snow! :) I need to start a 2015 book list of books I've read; that would be a good start for me! :))))

T.J. said...

Elizabeth, that's how this book series has come about. I had so many little notes and quotes on all the books I've been reading, that I figured I should keep track of them electronically!

Katie said...

What a awesome mom you are! Drew loves your dog, he looks so sweet and nice. Your kids will love the metal detector it was fun. I wish we found gold!! who knows what the future holds(:

M. K. Clinton said...

Oh my goodness! This brings back so many memories of my children. I stayed home with them also and it was the best decision ever. They grew up to be wonderful adults so you are paving a great road for your son. I wish I'd though up the groundhog snacks! Super cute!!

elizabeth said...

very neat TJ about the book series. now if I would just get to that book list. I've been distracted by hunting down recipes for a dinner I am providing dessert for and well it's almost Lent which means I need Glorious Butter and Cream FILLED ones! :))))) Have a wonderful night! will email you! :)

Linda said...

I think you are a wonderful mother. Love your photos. :)

Linda said...

I think you are a wonderful mother. Love your photos. :)

T.J. said...

what a kind comment, Linda! I will forever be working on trying to be a good Mama to my children even though, being human, I know I'll never perfect it.

Liz Mays said...

You crack me up...5 hours a day? Can you even? You come up with some of the best stuff to do and learn from!

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs