April 21, 2015

On recovery day






It's Tuesday- the day after Monday, April 20th- this year's Patriot's Day in Massachusetts.  The calendar turns past Marathon Monday with the conclusion of the 2015 Boston Marathon.  Runners from far and wide have made their treks back home.  I've returned home as well; complete with sore muscles, soaked clothes from all that rain, a head cold and a sense of full circle completion.  There is nothing in the world like running the Boston Marathon; I know this deep in my Atlantic rain soaked bones and regardless of the fact that there is still much in this world for me to experience. 






My love for this city runs so thick in my blood that it's hard to determine whether my family's comfort level in Boston is due to that love, or due to the fact that Bostonians are some of the most outstanding people I've ever encountered.  I think for all intents and purposes, it's the latter.  I think this data swells substantially on Marathon weekend.  Check it out:  













the friendliest, most pleasant marathon volunteers EVAH.  From the day we arrived to the moment my friend M and I had finished the race and were struggling to cover ourselves from the elements with the traditional heat sheet handouts (I don't think I will ever master that process), those volunteers were there, happy to help.  Every single cop, and firefighter, and security guard and bag checker we encountered did their job professionally yes, but affably too!  That delicious officer in that photo up there?  Above and beyond, above and beyond I say.  Gratitude to all.





I'm proud, so proud of M.  And of me.  And of the runners.  And spectators. And of the city that continues to teach me of...
"One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yield."

- end lines from "Ulysses" by Alfred Lord Tennyson.
(originally quoted by the BAA and prophetically written on the Marathon Monument in Copley Square)





wishing a speedy recovery to all my fellow Boston runners,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs