June 09, 2015

Grilled Bok Choy at Ball Mountain Dam


You know how there are those spots relatively close to where you live that entice you to visit over and over?  They hold some sort of nostalgia, or engaging vista, they tend to transport you to another space in your head when visiting them?  Ball Mountain Dam holds that charm for me.






Not too far from home, it always feels like we are camping out in the wilderness, yet we can get the boys home in time for baths.  When I need a short-lived outdoorsy experience I hanker for a visit here.  This time around the boys rolled about like bear cubs and explored the varied species of birds while we cooked up lunch.  Let me tell you about that bok choy before I get too far ahead of myself.  My farmer friend taught me how delicious it is to grill greens; ever since then I eagerly anticipate this time of year when our CSA's arugula and kale and bok choy and escarole and mesclun greens are all vying for space in my fridge.




Grilled Bok Choy
Ready?  Heat up the grill (gas is fine, but charcoal did taste super yummy) to a low-moderate flame.  Place the intact, whole head green(s) of your choice on the grill.  Sprinkle on some salt, pepper, a little olive oil... any flavoring you desire.  I used pesto this time around because that was lingering in the fridge too.  Just keep in mind that you don't want to saturate the greens.  Grill on one side for approx 3 minutes, then flip and repeat on opposite side.  Keep an eye on your greens as they cook fast.  When all appears wilted and warmed, pull it off the grill and enjoy!  Tuck it in with your burger, or treat it as finger food like I tend to do.  On this day I had 3 heads of bok choy!  It was a picnic, why hold back?


Some sort of construction is happening at the Dam right now, but even with that we were able to walk down to the area we most like to tromp around at.



We stayed and played on the rocks and in the mud until every one was satiated with food and fresh air, yet we were still home in time for baths.



1 comments:

elizabeth said...

how nice to have this place to visit! :)

Post a Comment

At any given moment, if you're inspired to leave a comment, I'm inspired to smile :)

 
© Any Given Moment
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs